Still having issues with a SLI-DR Expert w/ SLI

Hi guys,

i just had a look to your post and i can say that i had the same problems...i have been able to enable the SLI on my Expert following this procedure:

Booting with the normal BIOS settings, i uninstalled completely the NVDIA video drivers and i exploded in one directory the zipped WHQL driver ver. 84.21 !

Restarted the rig i changed the following BIOS settings:

From Advanced Bios Features - SLI Broadcast ENABLED

From the Genie Bios - PCI Express Configuration 8-4-NC-8 (to enable SLI mode as from specific of DFI)

From the Genie Bios - Dual 6600 GT Cards Support DISABLED

Pay attention about the orientation of the SLI Connector !!

Once started XP were detected both the GPU and when it asked the drivers...i specifed the directory where the drivers were exploded and it worked...

I hope that it'll work also for you guys...

Good luck

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I switch to PCI Express Configuration 8-4-NC-8 I get no display at all. Switching back gets me the Windows loading screen.

I can't seem to find out how to turn on SLI. The screen is telling me I can't. I even loaded the lastest bios and no change.

Guest Jeremy

My vid cards behaved extremely weird when I forgot about the floppy power connector to the mobo, probably really stupid me asking this but you do have that connected?

My vid cards behaved extremely weird when I forgot about the floppy power connector to the mobo, probably really stupid me asking this but you do have that connected?

Yes I do.

Did tried a few bios setting but no luck. All this gear worked just fine on my non-Expert.

Hi guys,

talking about the SLI connector i think that we have to fit it in the right direction as showed in the user guide...have a look at these faq

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_ask_mmm010.html

the guy of Nvidia said that we must observe a direction..

ddawson

i think that i had the same problem and i sorted it out in a easy way...

start XP with the bios default settings

From Advanced Bios Features - SLI Broadcast DISABLED

From the Genie Bios - PCI Express Configuration it defaults to 16x 2x

once XP is running u have to uninstall the nvidia display driver and remember before to boot to unzip in one directory the last nvidia driver, i used the 84.21_forceware_winxp2k_english_whql.exe.

Restart the system and enter in the bios setup (don't let XP to start) change the previous parameters in..

From Advanced Bios Features - SLI Broadcast ENABLED

From the Genie Bios - PCI Express Configuration 8-4-NC-8 (to enable SLI mode as from specific of DFI)

From the Genie Bios - Dual 6600 GT Cards Support DISABLED

Save and reboot and you'll see that you'll be able to log in..(no XP black screen and loop)

XP will detect the GPUs and it'll ask for the video driver..u have only to specify the directory where u have unzipped it and at the end of the installation you will see the pop-up that is saing that now u are able to enable the SLI..click it and do it

good luck

Thanks for the tips Maxrep, I've tried that method and every other thing with no success. I'm pretty sure I have figured it out. The problem is that the 7900GT does not like getting clocked higher without bumping up the voltage. The reason I say anything about voltage because in another forum I've seen people do a volt mod to a 7900GT and getting stable results at 700MHZ+ core clock. Maxrep I'm pretty sure your having no issues because BFG cards are already a lower clock from factory. When I lower the clocks in my card it becomes stable. My card is a EVGA 7900GT CO stock it is 500/1500 which is not stable. To prove my theory I was wondering if you can bump up your clocks to match mine stock and run 3dmark01 points sprite test and see if its stable.

I got it working. I uninstalled the Nvida drivers, rebooted and set the PCI Express Configuration to 8-4-NC-8, saved and reinstalled the Drivers.

SLI came up with the option to turn it on which I did.

Why is this not documented in the manual or Quick Help Guide? At least on the DR they told ypu to move the jumpers but there is no mention at all to change a bios setting.

It not like I'm running off the wall hardware here...

Dan

Hi porshe,

my GPUs default is 475/680 and they are running at 550/800 (unfortunately with BFG i can't rise the memoy clock above 800mhz).

What i can say is that my system is quite stable except a proble relative to the shutdown...sometimes instead of shutdown it restart...

i tryed 3dmark01 and no problem at all.

ddawson i'm happy that u sorted it out, i can agree with u that the installation guide is not very clear about the procedure for the SLI.

Aniway now u can enjoy your favourite games and that's what is important

Cheers

... i forgot to tell u that the 6800 and 7800 series doubled the memory speed in the control panel the 7900 series does not...so my card is working @ 550/1600 and by now i didn't have any problems..

cheers

• 6 months later...

@ddawson...

I was having the same problem with my Expert board, what ever I did would not

work. I was this close to RMAing it back to newegg, till I came across this

thread. Did what you said and it worked- "the dfi gods have smiled upon me"

Thx again-