Sign in to follow this  
Oceanborn

Opty 165 vs X2 3800+

Hey guys...I sold my old x2 3800 as I was't able to push it further than 2.5ghz....so I want to have a dual core proc capable of at least reaching 2.6ghz....and don't know if I should try the opty or have a better lucK with another X2.....

any opinions?

Opty 165 can usually hit 2.6 ghz, but it's not guaranteed. Buying something with a minimum OC in mind can be risky, especially when that is 800mhz over stock rating. That said, mine is stable at 2.6 at low volts. If I weren't such a pansy about voltage I could go considerably higher. Also, once you get into the higher speeds you start to notice the difference between 512mb and 1gb of L2 Cache. I say go Opteron!

:shake:

I guess I'm not a pansy... ;) I run my 165 24/7 @ 2.7 pushing 1.5+ volts. I have a SPi 32 M run that I ran @ 2.8+ with 1.7+ volts. For the price I would go for the Opty also, maybe even find a decent component you don't need and sell it to go up to a 170. :nod:

:shake:

maybe even find a decent component you don't need and sell it to go up to a 170. :nod:

Thanks, but that's not an option..lol

opty 170 goes for CAN$500

don't have that kind of money laying arounf nor can I sell anything since I don't have anything to sell...lol

it's really either the x2 3800 or the opty165.....I want go as high as possible on Mhz....so...that's the reason I posted asking for advice...

Guest shaolin95

I love my Opty so thats my vote. Remember it has 1mb cache that comes in handy for some software.

Opty. Thats all I have to say. Im close to getting one too.:)

EDIT: I just got a used opty 165 retail w/a 3 year warranty from AMD + 6 months(few months left on this warranty) from newegg...WOOT :P . Hopefully this thing hasn't been OCd on.

Sign in to follow this