Cooling PWM IC

veeko

I was thinking about removing the fan from the stock HS provided with my AMD64 3700+ and finding a way to mount it in my Antec P180 to cool the PWM IC. Would this be a worth while experiment?

See if you can temp mount it new the chip, if it does a good job then you can go back and do a final and better install of the fan.

Should I mount it so the air blows on to the chip or away from it?

That's what I did with my old HSF. I used some 2 sided tape to stick the fan to my RAM over the PWMIC. Here's a tip: plug this fan into the MB header labelled "Fan 2", then you can set in the BIOS for the PWMIC fan to come on full at 50C. It should run nice and quiet most of the time then. If you have some self-adhesive BGA RAMsinks laying around, stick one on the PWMIC chip to help draw heat out of it.

Forgot to mention, mount it so it blows towards the MB.

That's what I did with my old HSF. I used some 2 sided tape to stick the fan to my RAM over the PWMIC. Here's a tip: plug this fan into the MB header labelled "Fan 2", then you can set in the BIOS for the PWMIC fan to come on full at 50C. It should run nice and quiet most of the time then. If you have some self-adhesive BGA RAMsinks laying around, stick one on the PWMIC chip to help draw heat out of it.

Forgot to mention, mount it so it blows towards the MB.

Thanks for your feedback. I was definitely going to use the "Fan 2" connector on the mobo. I previously noticed the option for the PWMIC fan in the bios. I'll give it a test as soon as I get a chance.

any word on this!! Mine runs 57* on full load, dual prime!

Welcome to my world brotha....

I just installed my new opty 165 yesterday to replace my x2 3800+ and before at 2500mhz the PWMIC temp was 42C under load...now with the opty at 2565mhz it runs at 47C....a good 5C increase....thinking about installing a fan on top of it...

don't know what's the best way yet...I have a spare 80mm fan laying around but have no idea how to fix the thing...

Guest YuKoN

you gotta love the hotglue gun. just mounted a 60mm fan over my pwmic- just hotglued it right to the bottom of my psu above the cpu cooler blowing at the pwmic. ever need to move it? easy- the glue is like rubber and it just peels off. it's multipurpose too. no drilling- no permanent damage. give it a try if you haven't already :)

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone tell me where the PWM IC is located on the NF4 Expert? I've searched but can't seem to located a picture....just for the DR.... Thanks.

Geeeze. Does ANYONE have even the slightest idea of what a PWM IC is? Do you know what it stands for? Pulse Width Modulated - Integrated Circuit? Do any of you know that a complete PWM IC consists of three compenents,

a MOSFET (this is what actually generates the heat)

and an Inductor (also called a choke) and Capaciter to smooth the current out?

Now I'm no expert on how all of the wiring is done but at least google these terms and try to get at least a little grasp on exactly what your talking about.

Sorry, had to rant.