Sign in to follow this  
Guest retratserif

Ok we know there is an compatibilty issue with PSU's

Guest Retratserif

So what is the recommended PSU for the Expert board?

Does anyone have good one that they know will work with it?

Its very frustrating having a brand new PSU that you have installed in other DFI boards and watch it work, then have it not work with another.

BTW who has experience with RMA'ing stuff with ZipZoomFly.com.

I never had to RMA anything before. Do I just tell them that I would like a refund since there is not an exchange? Tell them it just doesnt work with the mobo?

Moved to the recomended hardware section and check out the stickie. 480 watt 28 amps on the 12 volt rail more with a hungry video card. There is a section for the experts.

Powerstreem 520's are the most popular FSP is good too.

And I would not call it incompatability more a matter of needing enough pwoer to do the job. Plenty of cheating is allowed in reporting outputs but if The CPU and Video card needs 20-30 amps on the 12 volt line and the ceap one only puts out 10 in the real world expect to have problems that is life. It costs mony to make a good PSU or at least a decent design.

On top of the good information already provided by Smoken Joe, make sure that the PSU you choose is EPS compliant, that is, an 8-pin motherboard connector instead of the traditional 4-pin connection. This assures that the board is more stable. I would recommend something of the OCZ variety. Depending on your setup a 520w Powerstream would work wonderfully.

You really have to understand that, you purchased a DFI LANparty... it isn’t an everyday run of the mill MB. It is an enthusiast’s board. And there are consequences with them; you have to buy from a specific pool of parts.

If you don’t want to then you need to get a refund on the board and get a MSI, ASUS, and GIGABYTE. End of story. There are many threads that explain what you need and most of them are ALL sticky'd.

I was new to this board and I managed to put everything together by going on recommendations, my own research, and just plan know how on what NOT to buy.

Again if you don’t want to head warnings and go with the pool of recommendations I suggest you return the expert.

I know this comes off as snide, but just how it is, you don’t have the right to be frustrated, when you don’t listen to anyone on this forum.

Now as to the recommendation for the PSU, ill help you out on that here is a list of all the PSU that are recommended and not these have been TESETED! With the boards (there is a expert section as well)

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854

Me personally I love Seasonic they are so quiet and VERY efficient but very pricy

Seasonic s-12 500/600 are very nice (people say that there are problems but that was long ago and Angry Games said it himself that it has been resolved).

As for non Seasonic, the OCZ Powerstream 520, this has proven to be the all around cheap for all the DFI boards. I recently bought one to replace my Seasonic.

I got a great deal check link

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/m...uct_Code=100346

I agree that there is so substitute for reading the stickys. Ive wanted to get a DFI mobo for quite some time now but havent taken the plunge yet because my other hardware isnt quite up to spec. Mainly my memory, which is on the way now. After that i will feel pretty confident in stepping up and joining the crew.

Guest Retratserif

Well I thought PSU I got was from that list. I researched alot ahead of time. I have the Enermax NoiseTaker II, not the original. Though it had all the correct connectors (EPS). Thats more than likely the problem. I am getting all the RMA stuff done with Zipzoomfly atm. I hope they can just send me a Enermax 535W (New) FMA 535W in place of the other one.

Well I agree with just about everything except the "I dont have the right to be frusterated". Not everyone knows about this board. Not everyone realy cares either. It is a support forum. Most people that come and go only use this when there is an issue. Some people here have been more than helpful. Others have been just plain arrogant. I do enjoy viewing other peoples rigs and there takes on different setups. Though I do not through it in peoples faces when things do not go as planned. I was not following a cookie cutter setup. I even went over board on the PSU I purchased. I thought I was gettting something better than needed for future proofing. I know these boards can be picky, but I never knew that you could get something that follows all specs and have it not work. Hopely this can be resolved with a different PSU. I am purchasing one dirrectly from the list. Its should work. If it doesnt then I am screwed. I setup PCs 5 days out a week. I may not be near as good of a OC'er or power user as anyone here, thought I am not a idiot. Anyone that is setting up PCs has a right to be pissed when things do not work.

Thanks guys. I hope to return with good news and stats after its all running and water cooling setup.

Is the Expert even subject to the Seasonic compatibility problems at all?

Guest maverick

Funny thing is based on the recommandations from the sticky i bought the OCZ Powerstream 520w.

It as giving me the cold boot problem ever since. I switch to my old Antec TruePower 420w and everything is smooth.

Bottom line is even if its recommanded ... you may be subject to problems anyway.

And I would not call it incompatability more a matter of needing enough pwoer to do the job.

Sorry Joe, I would have to disagree with that when it comes specifically to the cold-boot issue and the Expert (agree for other issues). There is definitely an incompatability when it comes to the combination of certain individual PSUs (many if not most of them are on the recommended list) and certain individual Expert boards. In fact, it is predominantly individual PSUs from the newer, high-end, high-power PSUs that are having these issues with certain boards. Often people will throw a cheaper, less powerful unit on their board and have it boot fine and yet if they put their 'problem' PSU on another board it will boot fine as well.

Even the FSP Epsilon units, which at first appeared to be immune are now starting to show up with cold-boot issues with certain individual Expert boards.

So the issue is obviously with specific combinations of indiviual units. It would be easy to test which component was at fault if you had a working combination and a non working combination. Just mix & match to see if the individual board is at issue or the PSU.

Also, it seems like there is an RMA fix to the issue via DFI (re comments from AG to RMA to DFI and specify 'the Expert cold-boot fix'. I think that advice first started off only for those with Seasonic PSUs, but I think AG is recommending that to others now (I may be wrong there...AG?)

Nah Seasonic is one of the best PSU's on the market next to P&C, but again it is the price that is what makes them not so popular.

As for the "Well I agree with just about everything except the "I don’t have the right to be frustrated".” Yea you are right, i just did a lot of research myself on these and XS forums before i bought anything just to make sure I had the right components. This frustrates me when someone comes here and expects to have things work 110% without any of the research. (This is not aimed at you or anyone in particular).

As for cold-boot it does not to be a general underlining theme but more of a bad unit or batch of units. At least from what I have read.

As far as Enermax they are a good quality (not just PSU’s) but I don’t think they are as good as Antec (higher end) the top PSU companies me thinks are!

P&C

Seasonic My Favorite

OCZ

Fortron/FSP

Antec

Enermax

But let us know the results with that RMA’d PSU and the expert.

Guest Retratserif

Enermax NoiseTaker II 600watt:

Great PSU. Worked in 3 other PCs being newer and older mobos. The infinity board loved it. I have pumped it up to a 27% OC then back down to 15% becuase heat issues. Very stable on a mobo that will take it. Only one of them was running the 5v at 5.5 Volts. I never really found out why it was doing that.

So with the $160 I am getting refunded for the RMA of the PSU. I should get a OCZ PSU being the most successful PSU for the Expert board?

Sign in to follow this