Chieftec Dragon Usb & 1394 Headers.

Hi, I got a new Chieftec Dragon case today 9new model) with built in USB & 1394 front panel relocators, problem is they don't work with my ASUS A7v8X mobo, is the ASUS a weird pin out or is it chieftecs problem?

With the case cable connected there is no device detected ion windows & no power led on my card reader that I used to test it, the USB mobo header works as soon as I connect the ASUS internal PCI card cable.

EDIT: Does the USB draw power from the 1394 connector so you would need to have both cables connected to the mainboard to enable the USB? Also the 1394cable comes with 4 plugs a single, double & two three pin plugs, that adds up to 9 wires the 1394 mobo connector only has eight! what??? I'm totally confused with this one!

Edited by hardwarefreek

This generally how I identify USB connections:

RED-WHITE-GREEN-BLACK-BLACK

RED-WHITE-GREEN-BLACK

That is normally how it is when I hook up USB headers, and I know those are the colors of the wires in my Chieftec case.

OK will try that, I'll need to remove the pins from the plug & reconfigure it. I think seperate wires would have been easier :-(

Oh. and there are only 6 wires in the header plug which is why I think it's getting power from the 1394.

Edited by hardwarefreek

Actually, umm, I just checked after reading this post and the colors are

RED-WHITE-BLUE-BLACK

RED-WHITE-BLUE-BLACK

My case doesn't have the 1394 on the front so I couldn't say how those are hooked up.