Cheap Comp

Mist

i am glad to see more people trying to get the most they can for the lowest price possible, that is exactly what i did 3-4 months ago

look at my sig

Yeah, $600 is plenty of moola for a new comp. If he already has a monitor he can use, then $600 will go a long way. For first time computer users, buying a pre-built computer is alright, but once you already have a monitor, keyboard/mouse, speakers (and sometimes even case), you're just throwing money away if you don't build it yourself. You should definitely be able to get a mid-high range system out of it.

Im gonna have him use his current monitor it is ok i guess. Sadly tho i have to buy him an os for it (he has me at the moment) and that will take a chunk out of the budget.

I've had the comps insured for a LONG time. lived in a bad neighborhood when I first moved out on my own, and I'm so glad I did. had a comp swiped from my room. screen window was cut, comp grabbed and GONE. I got the $$$ for it and moved on.

Im gonna have him use his current monitor it is ok i guess. Sadly tho i have to buy him an os for it (he has me at the moment) and that will take a chunk out of the budget.

yes, as i'm sure everyone here spends the big bucks to buy an OS ;)

For OS, if you can get a friend that is in college, and you dont want pirated. i would go This route. (academic rate = xp Pro $81)

I really think you should go higher than a duron 1.3 (especially if you get an Nforce, otherwise, what is the point?!?!?!)

A 1700+ or 2100+ should do, and they are only a few bux more than the duron

For mobo if he really wants Nforce2, after rebate, this Biostar is only $57, and it has 400 DDR mem, 8x Agp, and all the good stuff (minus SATA)

for mem, i really would suggest PC3200 memory (maybe the kingston valueram, corsiar, or ocz)....everything else, i agree w/ bigred.

Edited by howie b