Cheap Comp

Mist

Well it isnt ocing or cooling and its not a deal so i will put it here. I have a friend that is looking at building a comp for 600 and wanted ur guys input. This will be pretty much from the ground up including os (he has me right now *gags) and i was thinking of going the amd route.

For card i was thinking ti 4200 and an nforce mobo (i dont think he wil oc it so one of the cheaper ones) and for cpu was thinking like aan xp 2000 since he is on a budget. So any suggestions?

shuttle makes a very nice nForce motherboard... its like 75 bucks, but it doesnt have anything special like SATA or firewire or anything else. as for a processor, a xp 2000+ or a 2100+ is a good choice. i would get like a 60gb harddrive, and then you can get a DVD or CDRW drive (or both). if your worried about making budget, i would just get a cheapo medium tower or something like that. as for a vid card, i would go with a FX5200 vid card, or a ti4200 (the fx is cheapter, but the ti4200 is way better). let me know what you actually do build and what your final price is

:O PLEASE get a good power supply, i've seen too many systems burnt out cause of cheap PSU for example (it's worth checking) if you have or want to buy a "DEER" psu,(the company should be blown to bits) these are PC BOMBS sooner or later they will kill the entire system in one shot mobo, HDD,vid card ,CPU the works.They are either embossed DEER on the side of the psu or it's written on the board next to the capacitors.

If you've seen one it blows in the resistors right in front of the fan inside, there's always a burnt black spot there :(

I do pc repair and these come up too often and i take the opportunity to tell everyone. if you have one change it ;) usually in already made systems or if you had it made in a cheap place loll

Dont blow your whole system just cause you wanted to save a few bucks on the PS unit.

And on a good note, yeah $600 will get you a good system if you look for deals ;)

Edited by kobalt

duron 1.6ghz ($40 or so)

k7s5a ($38)

512mb pc2700 ($50)

antec lanboy ($100)

antec 350w ($50)

80gb maxtor 7200 with 8mb cache ($75)

TT v9 coolmod ($30)

Radeon 9600 ($140)

optical drives your choice, just stick with name brand. and OC THE HELL out of it

stuck on it? hey it's exactly what I bought it for. no cheap but expendable :) and it's doing a fine job of running at 2.2ghz. not to shabby for a chip of it's price. IF I were on a tight budget I'd buy one.

The K7S5A is too problematic to use. I had two of them and the SiS USB controllers are the pain in arse-end and they need a good PSU to run stable. My vote for the board is the Shuttle AN35 Ultra or the Albatron KM18G Pro II. If you insist on using the K7S5A, please make sure you get the 5.0 (Pro/Purple/USB 2.0) and not the 3.x (Black/USB 1.1)

had a ton of those k7s5a's. el cheapo power suplies, NEVER had an issue with any of them outside of the pain of trying to flash the bios. just don't get the PCChips version of it... though made by the same company, same exact layout, and everything else it's a big ol steaming turn.

for a budget comp that's no so bad at all. of course I just waiting for them to come out and tell me how much they're going to insure my comps for again. last time they put my main rig at $9k. I think it'll be worse with more ram, more screens an opteron (as opposed to a 2800+).