Cmos bad checksum error

I RMA'ed a SLI-DR because i kept getting the "Cmos bad checksum error - Defaults loaded" message. yesterday i received the board back and i went ahead and followed the sticky posted for new builds step by step and i still get the same message... So i unplugged everything and used a spare motherboard i have to test the parts (video card,ram, cpu ect) and they all are working fine. So i thought maybe it was my psu so i got my multimeter and tested the rails. I plugged in 3 hard drives,9800pro,a64 3400+,2x1gb ram,2x 120mm fans, 1x 92mm fan, dvd burner and a floppy drive to the psu and the atx plug to the spare motherbord.

12v rail - 12.07

5v rail - 5.04

3v rail - 3.39

I also removed the battery from the SLI-DR and reset the cmos and left it over night and tried it again this morning and i still have the same problem... When i check the rma status it still says "Sorry! no data found" was my motherboard tested/repaired?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a new build and i havent even been able to install windows yet because whenever i apply any changes in the bios and restart i lose the signal to the monitor and i have to clear the cmos before i can get a signal again. I'll try running memtest on those 2x1gb sticks, I also have 2x512mb sticks of xp4000 mushkin redline that i tried using and im still getting the same error msg. i tried each stick of ram in the first orange slot (furtherst away from the cpu) and im still getting the same error msg.

Try to run memtest with the gskills in orange slots if fails try one stick at a time in slot 2 orange slot furthest from cpu. Also checks the forum databases for known good settings for your memory. Some people end up installing OS with only 1 stick of ram. Have you been following buide guide here on forum with minimum components.

Hello,

whenever you clear the CMOS and power the board you will always get the CMOS Checksum error message.

All you need to do is enter the BIOS specify all your settings, save&Exit and it should be ok.

Message will also appear after any bios flash and when you change the CPU.

So what happens if you enter the bios, change all the settings, save&Exit?

Iv followed the inital build sticky, iv also tried booting with a single stick of ram in the orange slot furthest away from the cpu and i still get the same error msg. Iv tried 4 sticks of ram 1 stick at a time in the orange slot furthest away from the cpu and i still get the same error msg.When i enable memtest in the bios and restart i lose the signal to the monitor, iv also tried putting the memtest cd in and it dosent read the drive or if i try a floppy it dosent read that either.If i make any changes in the bios then apply them and restart then i lose the signal to the monitor.

Your board must be faulty. if you keep getting the same error even after you've swapped hardware and trouble shooted evry concievable thing, then the board is indeed faulty.

My suggestion is to RMA back to DFI along with a printed copy of this thread.

I've RMA'ed the board once and just got it back yesterday, Its the same motherboard cause i checked the serial and when i check the RMA status page i get "Sorry!No data found" I wonder if they just changed the box that i sent the original one in. :confused:

Now, first of all entering into bios is a good sign - seems like ur bios chip is healthy.

You said you follow the sticky step by step: everything is outside the case; just 1 hard drive, ram, vid card, and cpu naturally - nothing more.

After that:

First boot: go to bios directly - load optimized defaults - save & exit.

Second boot: go to bios directly - up your vdimm (under genie bios) manually to 2.7. - save and exit.

Third boot: do nothing, it should back up cmos and verify pool - then it should stop cuz there is no operating system yet.

If everything is OK until this point, turn off, unplug psu. Plug 1 of your optical drive.

Fourth boot: go to bios directly - check whether your optical drive is detected. If yes change start-up priority to cdrom (again under bios). Place your windows cd - save and exit. If it doesnt detect your optical drive, unplug power cable and check your cables. Ultimately it needs to detect.

Fifth boot: it should start installing windows from the cd.

Now at what point you are stuck.

Two other points:

1) Re-seat your video card again

2) You can always call dfi and ask about your motherboard I believe.

Hope it helps, good luck

Could have a bad CMOS chip. When RMAed the first time, they probably cleaned it out but did not replace the chip. Yes the error message is normal and telling you to setup the BIOS but it wont poast afterwards would mean your CMOS chip is hosed.

Can you remove the mobo from the case with only the CPU, VGA and 1 RAM stick, in an orange slot to see what happens then? Oh yeah dont forget plug in the PS2 keyboard . Dont plug in the SATA. IDE, or ATA cables. Got all 4 power connectors in?

The mobo is out of the case and only has the ps2 keyboard,cpu,video card,1 stick of ram in the orange slot furthest away from the cpu and the hard drive.all 4 power cables are plugged in. I turn on the pc and enter the bios directly and load optimized defaults, save and exit. comp restarts and i dont have any signal to the monitor. I unplug the hard drive and enter the bios again and load the optimized defaults, save and exit .. no signal to the monitor.

That is interesting - no signal to monitor part. What happens to red leds do they stuck at 2 red or 1 red.

I know it will sound little bit strange but while you have no signal to monitor situation hit delete key(enter the bios) and hit save without exit (Y) and lets see if the rig is gonna reboot itself. OK, how do you know hitting the right keys in the pitch black, first try this while you can see - if I remember correctly 1 right arrow, then 1 down arrow, enter, then key "Y". But as I said, practice it first. Just a suggestion....

If it boots itself, I would be suspicious about Vid card and/or psu - really interesting.

EDIT: did you up the vdimm to 2.7?