Overclocking And Hard Drives

Iggy

Hey guys, I'm having a debacle with my system, and I think it might be the hard drives. I recently got a virus (or at least what I thought was a virus) that would cause windows to crash whenever I tried to run any kind of intensive program, especially antivirus software and disk checkers. I got this funky error saying that some config file was damaged when I booted. I ran CHKDSK from the Win XP CD and it said there were errors but It would not fix them. I attempted to run the Norton Systemworks emergency boot disk thingy, but it would only scan the A: drive, and not C:, even when I ran it manually, which I fould to a little odd. In any case, I tried repairing windows using the reinstallation function several times, and I kept getting this wierd "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" blue screen, along with an error that went so fast all I could tell was that it dealt with memory. I deleted the partitions on BOTH of my HDDs, formatted the primary one, and windows still wont install, and I'm getting the same errors. I'm wondering if the hard drives could of been damaged by the FSB increase. I thought that an increase that high would kick in the 1/5 divider though. Thanks for your help on this. Anybody know whats up here?

Edited by Iggy

Hey guys, I'm having a debacle with my system, and I think it might be the hard drives. I recently got a virus (or at least what I thought was a virus) that would cause windows to crash whenever I tried to run any kind of intensive program, especially antivirus software and disk checkers. I got this funky error saying that some config file was damaged when I booted. I ran CHKDSK from the Win XP CD and it said there were errors but It would not fix them. I attempted to run the Norton Systemworks emergency boot disk thingy, but it would only scan the A: drive, and not C:, even when I ran it manually, which I fould to a little odd. In any case, I tried repairing windows using the reinstallation function several times, and I kept getting this wierd "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" blue screen, along with an error that went so fast all I could tell was that it dealt with memory. I deleted the partitions on BOTH of my HDDs, formatted the primary one, and windows still wont install, and I'm getting the same errors. I'm wondering if the hard drives could of been damaged by the FSB increase. I thought that an increase that high would kick in the 1/5 divider though. Thanks for your help on this. Anybody know whats up here?

I'm wondering if the hard drives could of been damaged by the FSB increase.

it could.... higher FSB makes everything run faster...

I was testing a high FSB the other day and saw the same errors...

Restored from backup and all was good..

Start will your comp with the XP cd in the drive. Then pick the restore system files. It will only change the files it needs to that are part of the OS. It may have installed funny or something. Also make shure the jumpers are on all the way and check the Drive cables, and Power cables to be shure there tight. I Dought the FSB damaged your hd. Hope everything works out ok.

Sorry guys, I already passed the PONR (point of no return) yesterday, and deleted the partitions on both of my drives (no backup, it stinks, back up your junk). I was getting errors in the windows installation. My vcore is already at 1.55, as opposed to the stock 1.50, and it was perfectly stable. I doubt its the FSB since people are o/cing way past 166 with the same chip. Maybe I should install fans in the four front case fan slots in my case to cool the HDDs. I'm trying to install with a XP disk from my Dad's dell, as opposed to the retail disk I was using originally. I'll report back with the results. Is/was this a virus?

Edited by Iggy