Help: Poor Overclocking Lanparty board?

11dayz

I am trying to provide as much info as I can so don't get scared by the long post :)

I have been tweaking this system for about a week and feel I have hit a wall.

I found my max RAM O/C to be 209 at default settings, so I always use the divider to keep the RAM frequency below this value. To find the CPU max, I kept the CPU multi at default (9x) and, using the dividers, kept the RAM below spec (200 MHz) as I raised the FSB. I got to 277, giving me 2492 MHz, and things were not stable enough to continue.

So I thought I was one of the unlucky ones that got a poor overclocking Opty 165. I then decided to see how far the board would go and dropped the multi down to 8. Again, keeping the RAM below spec, I went to keep raising the FSB to see what the board is capable of. To my suprise, I could not go any higher on the FSB. So even at 278x8=2224 MHz, I could not get stability once windows loaded.

It appears to me that I may have not hit the limit of the CPU, but rather the limit of the board. I find this hard to believe since these boards typically get into the 350's at least, which is why I bought it.

So I am here to seek any thoughts as to what I may be doing wrong. Here are my settings:

HTT Ratio = Auto

Cool & Quiet = Disabled

CPU VID Startup = 1.5

CPU VID Control = 1.5

CPU VID Special = Auto

LDT Volt = 1.4

Chipset Volt = 1.8

DRAM Volt = 2.6

DRAM .03v = Disable

Again RAM Timings and settings are kept at Auto/Default, with the only thing I change being the divider.

Temps @ load CPU=39, PWMIC=54, Chipset=46

Things I have tried with no success

-Raising/Lowering CPU VID

-Raising/Lowering LDT Volt

-Raising/Lowering chipset Volt

-Raising/Lowering RAM volt

-Manually setting HTT Multi to 3

-Manually setting RAM Command Rate to 2T (RAM default 1T)

-Manually setting RAM CAS to 3

-BIOS N4d623-2

With the memory controller being on the CPU you have to look at dividers and memory timings a little different. Most of the timings don't have much effect when running on a divider, but Read Preamble, Max Async, Tref, Drive and Data Drive strengths start to play a role with the CPU even when not on a divider. Not only can they be too tight and not allow you to get any higher but they can be too loose as well. Experimentation is the only way to get there.

I was hoping to avoid having to get into those parameters, but I will certainly read up on them and start messing with them. I appreciate the advice.

I was hoping I was doing something obviously stupid, so if anyone else has any ideas, please let me know :)

Im pretty sure the memory timings is whats holding you back.

On my setup, with the memory timings on auto they change based on the divider im using, rather than the frequency. Try setting all your ram timings.

Excellent. I have something to go on. I didn't think the memory settings would be a factor if I left them at default when I knew my max Mem O/C at default. I'll try tweaking them and manually setting them.

I do notice that you (Monty312) have a similar setup as I do, and your overclock is lower than I would expect. Why are you at 2403 MHz? Don't want to go over stock voltage?

*edit* I only ask because I would like to know if there was a similar circumstance holding you back as when I was oc'ing. I had to bump up the Vcore at about 2.2Ghz