Best MOBO Ever.

The ole girl's gonna get a cake retirement as the network file server and for the first time in a very long time chill on stock speed with 2 gigs of memory.

I didn't know you could run an NF3 250GB at stock speeds. :) It be kind of like idling around in my race car all day.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello guys.

I'm glad that I'm not the only senior citizen here in midlife crisis. lol.

Again thanks for your replies and sharing your great experiences. Very enjoyable.

Since we have few guys here who work for DFI. I hope they see the love we have for NF3, maybe they will report this to DFI.

In my opinion I think AGP is on it's way out the door and PCIe is the new card on the block. I still use and happy with my 6800 Ultra but sooner or later I'm force to upgrade. I won't throw away this card and my NF3 MOBO yet, until death do us apart, but eventually I will be building up another computer.

It would be extremely nice if DFI continuous with LANParty UT 250GB but just change chip to NF4 and AGP to PCIe, maybe SLI board, same structure blue-print as LANParty NF3 250GB framework. In other word, same exact but upgraded MOBO.

Why discontinue if product is still loved and seek.....?

I don't think there is a board out there which could take so much negligence and harm and still fire-up as NF3....I mean I spilled minimum of 2-3Oz of coolant on this thing, wiped and set next to my window for one day and it fired up....I mean come on. The only thing that could come out of my mouth was "Oh! Commooooon" After it Fired-up, I thought I had lost it, bit no, it actually booted up. :)

What do you think?

About 15min later I received a reply (try that with Asus) from some guy named Travis explaining that DFI could not support a beta OS but that I might try manually entering the MAC address from the sticker on my board. I followed his instructions and it worked!

lol...that would be me I guess (since I'm the only Travis that works for DFI heh)

too bad everyone else thinks I'm a jerk :tooth:

Since we have few guys here who work for DFI. I hope they see the love we have for NF3, maybe they will report this to DFI.

too bad DFI doesn't ever listen to us about anything these days

they keep cranking out stuff and not making the necessary changes that users really want (like going back to the old style rounded cables instead of the crappiest nastiest yellow rounded cables that we have now...if you want a comparison pic, just ask me and I'll show ya, then you can start a letter writing campaign to go back to the old style).

In my opinion I think AGP is on it's way out the door and PCIe is the new card on the block. I still use and happy with my 6800 Ultra but sooner or later I'm force to upgrade.

this is why it is not even worth the effort to bother trying to convince DFI to make more NF3's...especially with Conroe Intel and AM2 AMD64 coming VERY SOON down the pipe, and PCI-E being all teh rage (especially dual vid cards and dual-core 939/AM2 cpu's)

I won't throw away this card and my NF3 MOBO yet, until death do us apart, but eventually I will be building up another computer.

do like I did about 6 months ago, and Learner's Permit is going to do...make a killer file/music/vid/torrent/whatever server out of it, or HTPC with a decent TV Tuner/Capture card etc

or just a second game box so your kids/buddies/wife/gf can sit down and play Serious Sam, or Diablo II, or BF2 or whatever with you ;)

It would be extremely nice if DFI continuous with LANParty UT 250GB but just change chip to NF4 and AGP to PCIe,

check out the NF4X Infinity

it's socket 754 cpu, with PCI-Express 16x graphics lane

I've built this one for my brother who loves CoD and CoD2 and Godfather etc:

NF4X Infinity

3400+ Newcastle (2400Mhz) socket754 cpu

2x1GB OCZ PC4000 Gold EL

Nvidia 6800GT PCI-E @ 420/something (it has a Thermalright V1-Ultra silent heatpipe on it)

SB Audigy2 ZS Gamer pci

80GB Hitachi SATA II + 160GB Hitachi SATA

NEC 3550AG DVD-RW

DangerDen TDX watercooling

Coolermaster Centurion case

trust me when I say 2400Mhz A64 is fantastic...regardless of 754 or 939 (there's only a 5% or less difference in performance between dual and single channel...AMD64 cpu's are the SAME EXACT ARCHITECTURE...one just has a single chan mem controller, and the other a dual-chan)

This is a hell of a machine...and was pretty cheap to put together ;)

plus this NF4X, if I really wanted to, can overclock pretty damn well

Why discontinue if product is still loved and seek.....?

because love does not equate sales unfortunately

teh NF3 was our most popular board for a long long time, it even outsold the NF4 boards for the first 6 or 7 months...but now...it is like 754 has contracted leprosy and no one wants anything to do with it (and they scoff at me when i list the above system and say how great it is, and they scoff at Learner's Permit and his monsterly smoking fast 2600Mhz 1MB L2 Newark 4000+ etc)

I don't think there is a board out there which could take so much negligence and harm and still fire-up as NF3....I mean I spilled minimum of 2-3Oz of coolant on this thing, wiped and set next to my window for one day and it fired up....I mean come on. The only thing that could come out of my mouth was "Oh! Commooooon" After it Fired-up, I thought I had lost it, bit no, it actually booted up.

lol quite true, quite true

but

I've nearly destroyed the NF3 boards

and yet I've done 3x or 4x the damage to my original Nf4 Lanparty

and then there's the NF4X Infinity I was just crowing about...I basically just upgraded my brother's rig from the NF3 250 to it (as I finally ran out of good AGP cards and CoD2 was really starting to piss him off at 14fps with a 9800XT lol).

It already had watercooling setup, so I just swapped boards (and vid cards etc). Unfortunately, when I first put it together, I didn't have the right hose clamps for the cpu block, and just used zip ties lol...they were fine until I started moving stuff around and changing parts...then they started leaking

funny thing about it though...the rig must have been leaking for...I dunno an hour or two as I let it load windows and walked away for a good while not paying attention, yet I turned around after at least an hour to see what it might be doing....and it was a black POST screen, with a "CMOS Checksum" blah blah error...yet it was still running...so I got up to see wtf was up...and noticed a GIANT FREAKING PUDDLE of coolant all over the desk, soaking up the carpet below, and a POOL of it in the bottom of the Coolermaster case lol.

Grabbing a flashlight, I, in a freaked out state, started looking at the board etc inside, wondering where the leak was...and good lord it was right out of the cpu block barbs as the zip ties had finally worked themselves loose with all the upgrading lol.

water just streaming down the block, onto the board, over the first PCI-E socket, INSIDE the pci-e socket, down the rest of the pci sockets, over all the electronics of the board until it hit the bottom of the case where it just pooled until it ran over some hole and out onto the desk.

I was totally freaked out

cuz you know...water is pretty conductive for the most part lol...especially when there's plenty of current running all through the board and all the periphial cards and slots etc

I shut it all down in a hurry...pulled out the Audigy2 and 6800GT, they were 'soaked' at the contacts where they plug in...I got cans of air and blew out the sockets/slots, and water just came rushing out of them...I blew off the board, let it dry with a fan in front of it (after wiping up all the pools) for a couple hours, threw the cards back in, put a bit of UV dye in the water, turned on the super-make-your-testicles-glow-in-the-dark UV Logisys lights from DangerDen, and let it leaktest for 12 hours after putting on REAL hose/barb clamps from DD ;)

NF4X is one tough sumbitch if ya ask me...so is the NF4 Lanparty...and the NF3 Lanparty...

but

we are all afraid of change at some point, or don't want to give up what we love

unfortunately the NF3, as great as it is, is going to go the way of the dodo also...and there's very little hope of DFI ever making more NF3 Lanparty 250Gb's unless you know...1000 of you showed up demanding more (which just isn't going to happen)

so

do like I do

say a prayer to your loving NF3 every day that it is such an awesome rig, curse out your new NF4 Expert or Crossfire doohickey that just isn't as good as your NF3 or NF4 original, and hope that AM2/Conroe brings about something that is just as good, hearty, and stick-to-your-ribs-delicious lol

Wow! Angry Games, great story I would totally go berserk if I see my system dripping coolant. lol

Well like you said: NF3 has left the building, anyway and every way you look at it NF4 is n the house so is PCIe. And you're right that some times people get nervous and hate changing, specially when whatever they want to change is doing just great. PCIe, SLI, Dual Core Etc is taking over gaming platforms, and also games are getting more complex just for that reason. Once a High-speed better graphic cards better CPU start to show up so are games which need just that kind of power. Starting FEAR, COD2, QUAKE Etc 256MB graphic card just isn't enough to even get medium graphic setting on FEAR.

So you're absolutely right in every sentence that its time to move on Just imagine Prey due on release on July 11th, have you seen the trailer? http://pc.ign.com/articles/702/702684p1.html NF3 rig said Momma! Just playing the trailer my FR went down to -10FPS. Hehe. And I said "Damn that's a lots of codes"

Oh! I almost forgot...Since I'm still a rookie on this, Whenever I get ready to upgrade, you, Angry Games and Learners Permit are my consultants, I won't pay you, but you have my bragging rights. Deal?

And your advices are well taken and preserved. Thank you.

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter is what I am waiting to play

since I refuse to play FPS games on consoles...

I can imagine my framerate being crippled on either rig in my sig

but I don't care!

Prey...I need to check out more of it, along with Crysis (Thunda made a post about it in Software section...you got to check it out).

I just wish I got to actually play games more than once a month (I average about 2 hours of gaming per month now...I remember when I used to be able to answer those polls honestly about how many hours per week I spent gaming...and my answer would be like 40

then it went down to 20

then it went down to 20 per month

then it went down to less than 10 per month

now it is about 2 per month

*sigh*

God Angry...you are such a whiner

don't worry...if and when you are ready to upgrade, just ask

these guys here will tell you...I am NEVER shy about my opinion of stuff...I'm in trouble once again because I have stated that ATI chipsets are not worth buying compared to NF4 setups unless you are using Intel chipsets (which support Crossfire natively)...which means potentially DFI will not sell many ATI based motherboards...but hey, you all respect and trust my opinions because they are honest and brutal...so why would I change?

I have owned all the lanpartys since the KT400A up to now the NF3 UT 250.

I have to say that by far this has been the most stable board I ever used.

Im running 6 hard drives 3 dvd-rw's and 1 cd-rw and not a glitch. My armor case is finally full now though:shake: I have gotten the OC up to 2.7Ghz stable with a 3700+CG CLAW but dont OC it now cause I dont need to. runs everything silky smooth. I look at OC'ing as a challenge/hobby. It will be a good while before I upgrade.. Im going to skip 939 maybe and wait for the next GEN since I have to replace everything except my sound card and storage and case next time. overall I LOVE the UT.:nod:

Guest Blooz1

I don't know what karma caused me to pick the nF3 250Gb as the board on which to learn the rudiments of A64 computing and overclocking, but after using it for a year, I'm very, very glad I did!

There's been a few "bumps in the road", but I've learned a ton, and now have a rock-solid platform to show for it. I keep seeing people pontificating that the Socket 754 is "dead", and it's "old technology", but you can't prove it by me!

Indeed, the demand is obviously still there.

there's also a demand for a 1970 Hemi 'Cuda, but it went the way of the dodo bird. Well, not really extinct.. More like way of the nForce 3. :nod:

Some things are clearly better than others, and they just haul production and move on to newer ideas.. I think the Expert is a pretty damn good board, but wait till AM2 comes out, i betcha people will be asking why they stopped making it.