Ungrounded sockets...

fst h2o

This is getting way out of hand hey guys the only thing he can do is get a 2 prong to 3 prong adaptor and screw it into the face plate using the little face plate screw, attache a surge protector to that and hope for the best. The older buildings had to be grounded in one way or another granted not up to todays standards, but if you pulled off the face plate and looked at the wireing possibly their might be a green wire grounded to the box

This is getting way out of hand hey guys the only thing he can do is get a 2 prong to 3 prong adaptor and screw it into the face plate using the little face plate screw, attache a surge protector to that and hope for the best.

I personally don’t choose or recommend risking electronics (stereo, TV, PC, etc.) to hope for the best?

The older buildings had to be grounded in one way or another granted not up to todays standards, but if you pulled off the face plate and looked at the wireing possibly their might be a green wire grounded to the box

You’re talking about bonding the box. If a box is properly bonded, it would have a three prong outlet installed not a two prong. Even if a box appears bonded and has a three prong outlet, it does not mean it is properly grounded. You should stick a circuit and GFI tester plug (costs $8.00 max and can be obtained at any hardware/electrical store) to verify that it reads grounded.

I personally don’t choose or recommend risking electronics (stereo, TV, PC, etc.) to hope for the best?

You’re talking about bonding the box. If a box is properly bonded, it would have a three prong outlet installed not a two prong.

Yeh I had my computer plugged into a ungrounded outlet once and everytime you touched the case it would shock you. I made a thread about it at EOCF. Decided it was just that it needed grounded. I ran some new 12-2 and a 3 prong outlet and it was fine.

Recently had the same thing with my LCD monitor. It was plugged into a 2 prong and when you touched the DVI cable it would shock you. Just needed properly grounded.

Not only are you risking killing electronics, but there is a far higher risk of fire and/or personal injury.

And yes, if the box is "bonded" then why would there be a 2 prong outlet? lol.

Talk to your landlord about the issue. Something needs to be done. Maybe you can agree to pay half for an electrican or something.

Not only are you risking killing electronics, but there is a far higher risk of fire and/or personal injury.

That is an excellent point that everyone needs to be aware of.

Some time back, I had an electrical flameout because I overloaded a 15 amp outlet (unbeknownst to me) that was on a 20 amp circuit. Luckily, I was there at the time to extinguish it and take care of things immediately with minimal damage. It could have flamed my house, but more importantly my family. Someone must have been looking over us. :)

My the hope for the best statement was directed towards he's pretty much screwed short of moving, or spending what 36.00 an hour for an electrition to inspect a house and give an estimate on cost and then updating the electric on a dwelling he dosn't own, ro use his system would be to use it hoping for the best

How is his refridgerator pluged in is it in a 2 prong sockett is it plugged into an adaptor? I would certianly be concerned about that if he is concerned about wheter he should plug in his computer or not, since it kicks on and off all the time and would be a far greater risk of causing a fire.

How is his refridgerator pluged in is it in a 2 prong sockett is it plugged into an adaptor? I would certianly be concerned about that if he is concerned about wheter he should plug in his computer or not, since it kicks on and off all the time and would be a far greater risk of causing a fire. Its 110 and granted might have a higher amp circut but would definatly need to be grounded and its not even going to have a surge protector on it. If the wiring in his apt is so old and outdated as to concern him with his computer what about his appliances and what steps have been taken to make them safe? Call a local ealectrical contractor preferbly one who has been in busines in your area for a while and might have firat hand knowledge of you apt complex, chances are your not the first to have concerns about this and see how it has been dealt with in the past.