RAID Noob

Meltdown

I have to admit that i'm a complete Noob when it comes to RAID and was wondering if it was worth getting another Raptor and running RAID on my machine, i primarily use it for gaming and surfing the net

Of course it would do the trick by running two of those 74GB Raptors in Raid (Strip Mode). It would improve your boot time, game loads, extracting movies, music, files, or even encoding/decoding as well. You just have to make sure you use the Raid Stripping instead of the mirrioring, okay? Stripping is for performance and mirrior is for backup. Good Luck!

Thanks, now I have a few questions! I have seen RAID 0 (like in the tutorial) and RAID 1 somewhere else! What is the difference? Do all SATA and SATA2 HDD's have RAID 0 on them?

I now wanna get 2x 120GB Hitachi SATA2 HDD's can I RAID thoes to get a 240GB HDD?

Will RAIDing you HDD's cause any problems at all?

Thanks, now I have a few questions! I have seen RAID 0 (like in the tutorial) and RAID 1 somewhere else! What is the difference? Do all SATA and SATA2 HDD's have RAID 0 on them?I now wanna get 2x 120GB Hitachi SATA2 HDD's can I RAID thoes to get a 240GB HDD?

Will RAIDing you HDD's cause any problems at all?

Raid doesn't come on the hard drive. It is from the controller on the mobo.

Raid0 as in your example will be seen as a single 240GB drive, while raid1 is a mirror, or exact copy and will be seen as only a 120GB drive. There is no performance increase in a Raid1 setup, and most likely a slight decrease as the data is written to both drives. The plus is you always have a full backup of your drive, as it is unlikely both drives would die at the same time.

Just some info on my recent experience. I just bought 2x80 gig hitachi sata II HDs for (100$ new egg)and set them up in raid striping. Holy cow what a performance boost in load times etc. Windows boots in maybe 4 seconds. My old seagate sata II was doing 15 ish seconds. given some of it is due to the reload, but wow i was surprised. installation was as easy as the walkthrough.

My big question is why dont all computers use this function!

LOL...so the mobo has to have RAID? Well thyen I think I will get 2x 120GB Hitachi SATA 2 HDD's...unless if I get 3x 80GB Hitachi HDD's, will it be faster or the same?

My DFI mobo which I wanna get supports RAID0, right?