Flashing to newest 4/06 BIOS

Im about to flash to the newest 4/06 BIOS for my DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D. I just wanted to know if I should clear the cmos before and after the flash or just after?

Also is it acceptable to flash in windows or is it recommend aginst?? I can install the floppy I have for my compy but if I dont have to I dont want to.

Anything I should know?? Any precautions or prevention steps to take???

Also I noticed the only drivers on DFI's site are from 11-05 and that makes me wonder if the new ones were pulled or just relocated??

You can flash the bios in four different ways, USB Flash-Drive, bootable CD-ROM, Floppy, or use the Windows application. User's take that extra step in making sure everything goes well, so yes please do clear your cmos or bring your overclocking to default before you flash. You still need to clear the cmos after the flash, so don't forget. We actually had a discussion about the 0604 bios being either pulled or relocated on the DFI website if you do the search. Good Luck!

i flashed my venus last night using winflash....my case has no place for floppy and tmods cd doesnt have venus bios

make sure your rig is 110% stable...and i mean this......

get the latest winflash version from dfi website

close all unnecessary programs running......

save your old bios

click the CLEAR CMOS

update file.....follow the instructions....reboot.....

and dont.....i repeat....dont use saved profiles from other bios......

go into bios.....load optimal.....save and exit......bios again...adjust volts....save and exit again.....adjust the rest

its a long 45 secs :D

you will do fine

good luck

Well I didnt change any settings in my bios really... maybe boot priorty a few times. Other then that I mess with no settings of any kind.

So I should clear the cmos before, flash using winflash (this program will allow me to get old bios out right) and then clear the cmos again correct.

Another thing is, if the flash goes wrong wont I need to flash in dos to get back up because windows shouldnt load correct??

Well I didnt change any settings in my bios really... maybe boot priorty a few times. Other then that I mess with no settings of any kind.

So I should clear the cmos before, flash using winflash (this program will allow me to get old bios out right) and then clear the cmos again correct.

Another thing is, if the flash goes wrong wont I need to flash in dos to get back up because windows shouldnt load correct??

if flashing fails in windows dont reboot....just recover old bios

i had a bad flash using tmods cd....but was my fault....i was lucky enough and my rig posted but gave me a cmos checksum error...i was able to flash it back using a floppy....just pure dumb luck

i still remember the night when i flashed my dfi nf2 for the 1st time.......shinobi and playah babysitted me through 5 flashes in 1 night....

you will be fine

keep us posted

good luck

Well i dont see any install instructions.... that the dfi site said there would be???

What all do I check in winflash, there are several options im confused about?

where it says update option do I want to update boot block, dmi area, PnP area is greyed out.....

how do I load up the new bios????

4/6/06 Sucessfully updated!!!!!!

Clicked the clear cmos button on winflash, but didnt do a physical cmos clear. Should I do that now??

I went into bios and clicked load optimized defualts, then rebooted and it went up fine.

Splash screen is no longer goofey colors, but normal ones!!!

Prime95 stable for about 20 mins on both cores

Blend and small FTT's

Im going to prime 95 it from tonight around 11 P.M. to around 6 P.M. Monday (when Ill get home from work).

The only other things I have yet to do is memtest86 the ram and get back to catalyst 6.3 (6.4 is horrid)

If it will prime blend there really is no reason to memtest it. Use memtest to check for errors before booting and corrupting your windows install as it's not a very reliable test for absolute memory stability.