Sign in to follow this  
boomslangdfi

Pwm Ic ?

In my smartguardian what does pwm ic mean and how do I connect it? The small chip set fan is kina a little noisy thing I must say. And it doesn't keep it very cool in stock config. Any help on the pwm ic would be great and how to connect it.

The term "PWM" is your power management other known as your Power Regulators that are around your processor socket with silver heatsinks on them. Usually the PWM will give you temperature and not sure what you mean by "how do i connect it" cause you can't. It's on your motherboard and Smartguardian uses that particular sensor to read the temperature for your PWM. Yes, the chipset fan can be very noisy when running @7kRPM. There is something you can do by taking that fan out and replacing it with an "Everclear VC-RE" which will reduce the chipset temperature by 10-15c (very good) and will only run at 5krpm which can be nothing compared to the stock noisy one. Good Luck...

PWM IC is the pulse wave modulation, it's the IC that controls all the frequencies that are set. it's designed to handle high heat, although you probably could add a heatsink to it if you so desired. it's the retangular chip by the 24pin ATX connector, looks sorta like a RAM chip