Sign in to follow this  
kdog

RAM upgrade gone wrong

Once again, I assumed and it's gotten me into trouble. I assumed having 4 RAM slots on my NF4 Ultra-D meant I could populate them all easily enough. I popped 4 chips in, 2 pairs of Corsair CMX512-3200C2PT. Once all four didn't boot, I thought maybe a BIOS upgrade would help. I flashed to the April 06 BIOS (following Angry's instructions), no luck.

So, I put the original pair in which has run fine up until now, and now that won't boot either. I can only get the box to boot with a single DIMM. :confused:

Can someone please help this wayward soul? I tried disabling the CPC as well, no change.

Thanks

Did you clear the CMOS after the flash?

Getting 4 sticks to work takes some effort but it's not impossible. Once you clear the CMOS boot up with 2 sticks. Set up on the 166 divider, 2T and adjust your 4 main timings, 2 3 8 3 save and exit after reboot try installing the other sticks. Just have to find a starting point that you know you can back to as you start to tweak on the memory for speed

Yep, cleared the CMOS as per instructions. Actually, I cleared it for like 15 minutes just to be sure. I'll give your settings a shot.

Well, after a lot of head scratching and swapping of modules, I have them all in and recognized - only they're running at 333.

I had one pair in the orange slots initially. The board wouldn't post with that same setup later. I had to switch the pair to the yellow slots. Once I did that, I could get into BIOS, and set the voltage to 2.8 following DFI guidance.

Now it boots with 2GB of RAM, but at 333.

Every new DFI BIOS requires re-selecting the proper timings for your particular setup and that bios. I had the same issue and with new bios-es even CMOS Re-loaded is not helping...

Currently, I run one stick only as the two that used to run along just fine no longer do after the bios upgrade. Still trying to figure out the optimal settings and become even more certain that this is my first and last DFI mobo. Never before had so many issues with a board in 15 years of putting together my PCs...:(

It's funny how all the so called expert box builders have such troubles with DFI boards and total noobs have screamin boxes with them. I guess it all comes down to not starting out with any preconceived notions and mucho testing and patience.

It's funny how all the so called expert box builders have such troubles with DFI boards and total noobs have screamin boxes with them. I guess it all comes down to not starting out with any preconceived notions and mucho testing and patience.

I don't consider myself an expert, but I have been building boxes for 10 years or so. I know why I have trouble, and you're right about it being preconceived notions. Notions like with two sticks of RAM in dual-channel you'd think it would work in DIMM 1,3 with default BIOS settings. Mine seem to only work in 2,4. And notions like with 4 DIMM slots you could actually use 4 DIMMs at full-speed without tweaking the BIOS. Odd, I know. ;)

Either way, I'm happy with my DFI board, just wish things came without such frustration. I see some posts about manually setting the ratio to 1:1 if it's not already - I'll poke around.

Well, after a lot of head scratching and swapping of modules, I have them all in and recognized - only they're running at 333.

Now it boots with 2GB of RAM, but at 333.

When the memory runs at 333 with 4 sticks is a limitation of the cpu memory controller...never the board....the board can run fine at 400mhz....no matter what bios you have, if you have an old revision CPU (Clawhammer) for instance, it won't run at 400....the new ones "Venice, San Diego, X2's" can all run at 400mhz with 4 dimms....

Damn the luck. Maybe I'll just return the new two and pick up some OCZ stuff. Or, maybe I won't even notice the difference. LOL.

OK, I've sold 1GB of it already, and already bought replacement TWINX2048-3200C2PT. Should be good to go once it gets here. :) Thanks for the help folks.