Sign in to follow this  
Sgt.Snyper

Can't see all 4 sticks of 1gb G.Skill

Most i can ever see is 3GB.

Tried upping latency timings and voltages, but NADA...

This is happening at POST and BIOS level... I just got the parts tonight and havent even loaded XP on it yet.

Anyhoo... I tried swapping the sticks in pairs, mixing them (I marked them 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B of course) , and of course I can see 2GB in any combo no matter if i have them in single or dual channel, but as soon as all 4 of em are in there all i see is 3GB.

Thoughts?

I'm pretty sure you can use 4GB in Win XP, ask some mods for help since they were able to fix this for some people.

ECC memory won't even work on DFI motherboards, you can make it work with 4x1GB sticks that are non-ECC, just that you'd have to fiddle alot with it.

I put my 4X1GB Ballistix on my expert a couple of days ago, I got a second pair brand spankin new unoppened for 184 bucks. XP was only reporting 3.25 of some odd number, I was able to test it @2.65 8hrs+ memtest and I thought GREAT. My Opty runs at 310x9 so there should be no problem right! W R O N G!!!!!!! It is a big challenge, and will collect myself and try another day.

Not Seeing 4Gigs at POST and in the BIOS... This is not an OS issue since i haven't even gotten to the point of loading the OS on it.

When i DO load it it will be a quad-boot between Linux 32/64 and XP Pro SP2 32bit / Server 2003.

My G.Skill 1Gb PC4000 sticks are of course double sided, which means that with all 4 of them in the bios is going to drop them back to 333 and take them out of dual channel mode. I am willing to live with this as I am more interested in quantity of RAM at this point than blazing speed.

However, back to my original question, why the heck is the 4th stick not being seen during POST and in the BIOS?

There's an option in the BIOS under "Advanced Chipset Optios" that says "Memory Hole for PCI MMIO"....that HAS to be enabled if you want your BIOS and OS to see more than 3 Gbs of RAM

Not Seeing 4Gigs at POST and in the BIOS... This is not an OS issue since i haven't even gotten to the point of loading the OS on it.

When i DO load it it will be a quad-boot between Linux 32/64 and XP Pro SP2 32bit / Server 2003.

My G.Skill 1Gb PC4000 sticks are of course double sided, which means that with all 4 of them in the bios is going to drop them back to 333 and take them out of dual channel mode. I am willing to live with this as I am more interested in quantity of RAM at this point than blazing speed.

However, back to my original question, why the heck is the 4th stick not being seen during POST and in the BIOS?

He he he LOL, :nod: OK, now we got that sorted out. Try a different bios and see if if fixes that. :)

Most i can ever see is 3GB.

"This is happening at POST and BIOS level... I just got the parts tonight and havent even loaded XP on it yet."

Thoughts?

I know in your case it's NOT OS related, but I thought this might be worth having a look at:

http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20379

AFAIK, 4 gigs won't be supported on 32bit windows, which won't matter much if you're running 64bit anyway...

Sgt.Snyper , Did you try what I told you?

Yes, and it now works flawlessly.... now if i could figure out why the SATA RAID floppy disk won't work for Windows XP Pro SP2 setup...

Thanks for pointing out that setting. First time I have built a PC with 4Gb.

Looks like i'll be going the route of re-doing my SP2 slipstream install CD... actually I think i'll try slipstreaming onto one of my USB Thumb drives... I assume one can boot from a thumb drive with this mobo right???