New Bios, cannot boot?

I know when I had three leds before, nothing worked. I tried 2 overnight clears and finally gave up and sent it back. It came back to me and was working well until I flashed today. Some here will say if it was working fine, why did you flash it? Because there is always something on these board that could be helped with a new bios and if it's official, why not.

I'm not saying doing a 24 hour clear, won't take care of yours, but it's never done anything for mine.

I'll probably leave both boards and everything sitting out overnight, just so I can say I tried an overnight clear.

The reason I don't have a lot of confidence is after 2 hours I don't even get a beep when holding down the insert key.

If it doesn't boot tomorrow, I'll haul it down to the mailstop, give 'em another $18. At least this time they won't get my Karajan module, cuz there ain't one on it.

Burleyboy, I did find something worth trying off a particular website. It didn't work for me but maybe it will for you.

First find the two swiches on your motherboard, reset and power. Push them both at the same time, but release only the power button, and continue to hold the reset button for 10-15 secs, and then release it. After releasing the reset button, some have had a mobo that refused to post w/ infinite cmos clears, to post.

Worth a shot..

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GripS

I followed CPDMF's(the guy with the drag racer sig) method for flashing:

1. Load optimized defaults (Do not flash while overclocked)

2. Flash

3. When finished flashing do not hit F1. Just power it down.

4. Disconnect power to power supply.

5. Move CMOS jumper to clear position and leave it for about 10 minutes.

6. Replace the CMOS jumper to it's original position (DO NOT forget this step)

7. Fire it up and go into the BIOS. Load Optimized defaults. Save and Exit.

8. After reboot set up your BIOS as you like.

As always flash at YOUR OWN RISK.

Oh yea. Don't try using your CMOS reloaded settings either after flashing to a new bios. Just start from scratch and save your BIOS settings over again.

Also if you fail to boot after flashing try holding the 'Insert' key when powering up the system.

Doubtful, that's a new one on me. If it doesn't boot tomorrowI'll give it a shot. I guess it couldn't hurt. Where did you see that at?

GripS, must have missed CPDMF's flashing guide as well. I don't know, I've flashed a lot of times and until today, they've all been successfull. I can see where it should work as it's allready been written by then. I've got to say though deviating from the instructions during a bios flash makes me a little nervous.

Doubtful, that's a new one on me. If it doesn't boot tomorrowI'll give it a shot. I guess it couldn't hurt. Where did you see that at?

GripS, must have missed CPDMF's flashing guide as well. I don't know, I've flashed a lot of times and until today, they've all been successfull. I can see where it should work as it's allready been written by then. I've got to say though deviating from the instructions during a bios flash makes me a little nervous.

I grabbed it off the site listed below:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=325031

I've been googling a bit to see if I can get any other ideas.

That's crazy, a 24 hour CMOS clear, and a RMA everytime you flash? What is wrong with these boards?

Honestly I don't know where these extended hour marathon CMOS clears came from. That is not normal functioning of that jumper. Just unplug everything , move the jumper, wait 30 seconds and start over. At MOST a minute is needed. If your CMOS doesn't clear and or you can not boot after that, there is a problem with something else. I did it about ten times yesterday playing with RAM timings after the new BIOS flash. I promise it didn't take me two weeks to do it. For those people saying their boards magically worked after leaving it over night, is most likely due to some other energized part on the board that 'happened' to finally clear itself out.

Honestly I don't know where these extended hour marathon CMOS clears came from. That is not normal functioning of that jumper. Just unplug everything , move the jumper, wait 30 seconds and start over. At MOST a minute is needed. If your CMOS doesn't clear and or you can not boot after that, there is a problem with something else. I did it about ten times yesterday playing with RAM timings after the new BIOS flash. I promise it didn't take me two weeks to do it. For those people saying their boards magically worked after leaving it over night, is most likely due to some other energized part on the board that 'happened' to finally clear itself out.

Yeah, I didn't think it was going to work myself but hey, worth a shot eh? I did unplug everything, moved the jumper to clear and waited. I must have done this a few hundred times but every single time, I got 3 LEDs. The 3 LEDs does not allow me to go into the BIOS. It's basically turning it on and it stalls. I don't get a beep and I don't get any video. It's very limited.

The board was working fine before flashing it. After it finished flashing, it gave the message that it was successful and to remove the floppy disk and restart the computer. I simply followed that and that's when it all started.

Yeah, I didn't think it was going to work myself but hey, worth a shot eh? I did unplug everything, moved the jumper to clear and waited. I must have done this a few hundred times but every single time, I got 3 LEDs. The 3 LEDs does not allow me to go into the BIOS. It's basically turning it on and it stalls. I don't get a beep and I don't get any video. It's very limited.

The board was working fine before flashing it. After it finished flashing, it gave the message that it was successful and to remove the floppy disk and restart the computer. I simply followed that and that's when it all started.

Exactly what happened with mine. I just tried mine again after clearing for 15 hours. No beep. Nothing. Didn't work, didn't think it would.

RMA time.

I flashed to the new 406 BIOS yesterday and last night I had a small problem which usually takes a 30 second clear. However, after the clear I tried booting and got 4 leds. Oh S__t, says I.I turn the power off and got 7 hours sleep. Came down this morning, hit the start button, 4 leds. Started smoozing evgrything and guess what? My d__n jumper was in the clear position. Moved it to Defaault and came right up into BIOS. So it got a good 8 hour clear. This is my third day up with the Expert. The Ultra-D was easier but this is getting better. At least I have the experience of the Ultra. Oh, by the way, it doesn't seem to be a problem if you accidently leave the CCMOS jumoer in the clear position when you power up.

I hope any one else who gets that tired takes a nap instead though. Worried heck out of me.

I flashed to the new 406 BIOS yesterday and last night I had a small problem which usually takes a 30 second clear. However, after the clear I tried booting and got 4 leds. Oh S__t, says I.I turn the power off and got 7 hours sleep. Came down this morning, hit the start button, 4 leds. Started smoozing evgrything and guess what? My d__n jumper was in the clear position. Moved it to Defaault and came right up into BIOS. So it got a good 8 hour clear. This is my third day up with the Expert. The Ultra-D was easier but this is getting better. At least I have the experience of the Ultra. Oh, by the way, it doesn't seem to be a problem if you accidently leave the CCMOS jumoer in the clear position when you power up.

I hope any one else who gets that tired takes a nap instead though. Worried heck out of me.

I wish I was that lucky. I haven't had any luck. Been googling/browsing the boards and all I get are the same things I've tried.

So I requested an RMA and they instead sent me a new CMOS chip. I got the chip, unplugged everything from the computer and swapped the chips. I plugged everything back in and got 3 LEDs once again. Am I doing something wrong here? :/