Sign in to follow this  
pantera_team_a

SLI-DR CPU fan compatibility???

hey all... im new to the forums and im kinda new to overclocking but i decided to go with the SLI-dr (non-expert) board due to future proofing, lots of drive space, sli for later and possible overclocking in the future (besides the reviews were great)...

My main concern is that all the riviews ive read have said that u have to use dimm 2 and 4 for dual channel.... i looks at the specs and slot 4 is the closest 1 to the cpu....

i want to go dual channel (obviously) but i also want to get an aftermarket cpu fan that will have the clearance i need for the ram... arg... unless i really buy the stuff and try it i cant really be sure.... so thought id ask here cuz u guys may have tested the one im interested in....

its the Zalman CNPS9500-Cu (the stand up flower)...

2 concerns...

1. Size: Will it clear the ram slots i want to use for dual channel (or other components)

2. Weight: This is a bit of a concern... im not worried about carrying a heavy computer... im more worried about it stressing the mobo if i carry it to lans and friends houses... I know most cpus say 500grams or somewhere around that maximum.... 530grams listed on the site but its tall so im just curious....

and while im asking... The list in my sig is the base of the rig i wanna make soon... can u guys see anything that may cause problems?

thanks all and hopefully i can contribute to the forums a bit soon!

Pantera

hi there...i seen sigs wih a xp=90c,thats a copper version..it is 690g with just the heatsink+100g or more for a fan like panaflow....so i dont think it will be a prob...

your ram might give you some problems in the future..because its value..mostly unoverclockable chips....same thing with mine..but i ran mine wita a divider..so its slower compared to other rig with diffrent ram like gskill that run 1:1 with the cpu...

if you havent get it i recommend you get ram by ocz or gskill,gskill goes for 157 at new egg...ocz you gotta ask around..ask Angry..;D..and remeber get a 2 gig kit..you need it for future games...

last but not least..read all the stickies(top of the page) and SEARCH before you ask questions...theres alot of people that might help you..and good luck

The zalman 9500 works fine. All 4 memory slots will remain available. I never had an issue with weight.

I had one before i got water

i have the zalman, and quite frankly i was amazed at how lite it was when i held it by itself the first time. i would have thought it would be much heavier. but it is relativly lite compared to some of the other monster coolers people are using. so, if i were you, i wouldn't be concerned about weight. (most online retailers list the weight in their descriptions, you can go check them out and compare and see how they all stack up. i know www.jab-tech.com lists specs for their coolers. newegg should too. just remember that you also have to add the weight of a fan to coolers that dont have a built in fan.)

as for its size, it shouldn't block any memory slots. the "wide" part of the cooler is well off the motherboard and will clear any memory sticks you put in there (unless they are like 3 inches tall). so i wouldnt' be worrying about that either.

***EDIT***

Mrzeld: i noticed in your sig that u have the expert edition.... i think that the ram slots are positoned differently on that board.... did u use the zalman on the expert or non-expert board??? this may be inportant to my build...

So anyone with a NON-expert SLI-DR please post if u have used this cooler...

Thx

***END EDIT***

wow.... thanks a million guys... (or gals... lol) im gonna start buyin it a bit at a time... (paychecks are tight right now....) :) ill let u all know when i get it done...

btw in my sig i mentioned "mods to come" im working on the first: a tool drawer in the 5.25 bay made from an old 6x SCSI burner (LMAO i dont know where i got it to be honest...) but i tore the guts out tonight and ill do some dremel/cleanup work soon...

Ill let you know how it goes in a new post when im done...

Pantera

thx jacob!!!

im gonna start buying the parts soon.... im gonna buy a few things each paycheque and put it together over time... ill let you know how it turns out

THX TO ALL!!

Pantera

pantera! listen to them now :P and thats the way i built my computer over time i got parts in and installed them. have fun man hope it all works for ya and you do not get some DOA stuff!