Sign in to follow this  
Guest sprankiko_merged

Noob Help!

Guest sprankiko

I just got myself an ultra-d and an Opteron 148. I know I should have checked the message boards for the possibility of a previous post on the same topic, but I really simply don't have the time to check everything right now and I need to get my computer up and running as soon as possible. I also heard that DFI frowns on Opteron usage in their mobos but due to budget constraints, an Opteron was the only feasible choice.

Moving on, I'm just wondering if I need to flash my BIOS to a newer version? When powering up, three of the four LED's stay lit and nothing is displayed in the monitor. Manual says that three lights mean CPU check so I'm theorizing that the BIOS is not able to detect the CPU. Anyway, I really hope someone can help me out here. I've read many wonderful things about this mobo. I hope I'll be able to use this for the next 5 years or so....

3 lights mean CPU detected, Ram not. Try booting up with 1 stick of RAM in the orange slot furthest from the CPU. If you can get into the bios load optimised defaults, save and exit. Then try inserting your other stick of RAM. DFI doesn't frown on opteron use, they just cannot officially support them because AMD will not allow it. Look around and see how many Opty's are in peoples sigs.

They don't frown on them, You just will not get any help from the MOD's, But other people here will help you. As CPDMF said, check your ram. also what is your bios ver? Did you load optimized defaults?

Guest sprankiko

Haven't loaded the optimised defaults yet. Nothing is displaying on the screen. But I will try booting with 1 stick as suggested. Will be back to let you know and thanks guys!!! :D

Guest sprankiko

I just:

1.)cleared the CMOS

2.)placed one stick of my RAM into the orange slot...

3.)...nearest the processor

and the result....... nothing. :shake:

Which could only mean that my RAM's are not compatible?

try one stick of ram in the yellow slot. if that doesnt work, try one stick in the orange slot. it should be in slot 1 or 2 if youre using one stick.

Guest sprankiko

Ok, I'll try that. I'll let you know whatever happens.....

Guest sprankiko

WOOT!!!! WOOT!!! I'm happy to announce that it has finally started up. :nod: But, it's not booting from CDROM. I set CDROM as first boot device and everything else disabled. I get bootdisk failure message. :( Any ideas?

Guest sprankiko

All is well. I have successfully installed windows!! Thanks y'all!!! :nod:

Just a few corrections, placing one stick in the slots nearest the cpu (yellow or orange) will never work, if you're only using one stick this will only work in the slots furthest away. Second, the mods and admins will still help you.