Is My +3700 crappy ?

Magel

Hey guys, I need some help with overclocking my +3700 SanDiego.

Following the overcloking guide in these forums I was able to clock my +3700 to 2.8ghz. But in order for it to pass SuperPI on the 32mb test I had to put the Vcore up to 1.75 volts. Yes I know this is very high volts but I have water cooling and the CPU temps didnt go over 40 under load. I then ran OCCT tourture test and it failed after 1 sec, I didnt even bother running prime.

Bare in mind though I overclocked in incriments, I didnt just set it to 254*[email protected]. I know each CPU is different but the only reason I bought this CPU is because I thought they were good overclockers and it doesnt seem to be stable after about 2.6ghz. What is a realistic speed I can expect from this CPU.

This is the highest config I tried - 254*[email protected] - 2.5 LTD Multi - Ram (1/02)

Ive read of people getting their SanDiego's to 3.0ghz at 1.5v :confused:

Even with watercooling I wouldn't recommend going over 1.65 volts. I've gone up to 1.75 as well but it's just not smart if you want it to last.

Now then, just go back through the overclocking guide and start over. If 2.6 is your max you can't do much about it. However, sometimes finding the right memory timings can make a big difference even with your memory on a divider. Play around with them for a bit, see what helps. Check out the overclocking database for people with similar rigs and see what they use for memory settings.

I've seen so many ppl said that they got their Opteron 146 to 2.8G with the STOCK voltage, and lots of guys posted their 3G print screen. However I could only make my 146 @ 2.8G prime stable with 1.525v, so I just went with 2.6G for the sake of the CPU health. What am I going to do? return it because of that?

2.6G isn't bad at all, that's a FX-55 my friend.

Did some tweeks and tests and 2.5ghz seems to be the highest it will overclock to. 250*[email protected] HHT x4.0 Mem 1/01. Passes SuperPI, OCCT but havent had enought time to properly test it will prime95 but the speed seems to be about the maximum stable. I may try to go higher again with different memory timmings but should I make them tighter or looser.

Ive gotta say I am a bit dissapointed with this I thought I would be able to get it stable at 2.6 or 2.7+ easy, 300mhz overclock seems a bit weak to me.

Does anyone else have the problem with OCCT temp sensor no matter what I set it to OCCT freezes and I have to alt+ctrl+del and close it.

Mine can do 2850 but do I run at that speed, NO. I run mine at 250 x 10 @1/01 and it runs everything I throw at it. I'm happy with it.

Does it run stable at 2850 ? I Can boot into windows at 2784ghz and play games ect, but when I run prime95 and OCCT I get a fail straight away.

Yes, but it was too hot for my comfort, 52c load. That was with the RAM in my sig with loose timeings. Since then I have got new ram (Gskill HZ's) and I have'nt OC past stock ram settings mostly because of spring and the warmer days ( my system is air cooled ).

You seem to be running a lot of equipment on that PSU? Perhaps that is your problem?

You seem to be running a lot of equipment on that PSU? Perhaps that is your problem?

Its funny you should mention the PSU. I did have a 600w X-Finity PSU, the it was sssooo loud, so I RMA'd it got another one and it was just as loud. Did some research and ended up buying this PSU and its dead quite and peaks at 650w, any other PSU's over 550w seem to start getting loud due to the cooling issues.

Prehaps someone could suggest a QUITE 600w + PSU.

During testing I kept a close eye on the VCORE readings and the 12v readings. The VCORE seemed to go up and down at higher clocks but seems to be stable at lower clocks. EG. I would set the VCORE to say 1.55 v but the reading in monitors would say 1.52 and would go down even furthur during testing. The 12v reading was going down bellow 11.96 and wasnt going back up to 12.00 durring testing at 1.6v ++. Prehaps the CPU isnt getting enough stable current.

I am keeping my 3700+ at 2600 until my SI-120 comes in, but i doubt i will be able to push it much more without more volts and alot of tweaking. 2600mhz out of a 2200mhz is pretty good in my books and i have seen good gains in games and benchmarks. If i go any higher, it will only be to see how far i can push it, but i reckon i will always come back to the 2600 'sweetspot'

You have a pretty sweet rig their mate, i wouldnt worry too much if 2600-2650 is your max, especially if the temps are good.

whats everyones stepping on their SD 3700? mine is KABYE 0535XPMW and i can get 2.8ghz out of it at 1.56v. i can boot into windows at 3ghz with 1.61v, but it BSOD's when i run SuperPI 32m after about a minute or so. im sure if i went with water i could get further but with load temps of 40c on air i really cant complain :D