video card questions....

Reapergato

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VIVO - Video In Video Out is very cool if you plan on using your rig as a multi-media setup, it negates the need for an additional card for things like directly connecting a digital camcorder, vcr etc to your rig. In most cases it will also offer both RCA and S-Video output jacks for televisions that don't support DVI connections.

If you're heart set on SLi I'd spring for two of the 7900GT cards. They are built on the 90nm manufacturing process and run cooler at higher clock frequency than the previous 7800GT cards.

If you would like a single card solution, I can highly recommend the X1900XT series cards from ATI. They are very fast. I don't own Oblivion, but I do play a lot of FEAR. My XT is clocked at XTX speeds on GPU and Memory. In the built in benchmarking utility of FEAR my minimum frame rates are 44fps, my average frame rates are 88fps and my maximum frame rates are 176fps. That is running at 1600X1200 resolution with 2XAA and 4XAF. Most game settings at medium.

The major drawbacks on the 1900 series from ATI are the noise of the OEM cooler, heat and power consumption. They run very hot.

Just my 2 cents worth.

yeah definately go with the newest gpu if you can, ive made the mistake of not doing so in the past - bought a fx 5600 instead of 5800 coz the 256mb memory enticed me - i was young and stoopid!

thanks for the 2 cents. so hmmm well if i dont go for vivo im looking at the EVGA 7900 with the new fan and heatsink.... the KO i think it was called...... but if vivo would make it so i wont need a HD tuner card id go for a vivo solution. i will be using a comcast digital cable HD box for my source....so i just donno..... i do know it will be SLI eventually.