video card questions....

Reapergato

ok so i stepped up and threw down the cash for the stuff in my sig... video card is next... i will be doing SLI... what cards do i want? 7800 ... 7900?? im not new to this... but i am just starting to get back in the game again....also whats this about the x16 dropping to x8 when sli is going? is that something that can be updated with a bios release? i dont like asus... but they boast true x16 per card... what gives?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's absolutely no difference or very little difference between 8x and 16x today as the cards don't use nowhere near the bandwidth available...

as for the cards....if you have the money go with the 7900 series as it's the latest....

=) thanks for all the great info.... ill probably love my DFI board =) so what are the pros and cons of the 7800 and the 7900?

7800 110nm manufacturing process

7900 90nm manufacturing process

7900 generates less heat because of the manufacturing process therefore, has higher clock speeds....also the memory they're matching the 7900 clocks higher than than the ones matched with the 7800....

• 2 weeks later...
ooook so ive narrowed it down a little bit... to an EVGA model and a comparable XFX model the only real difference is VIVO.... so what is it? and do i really want it? LOL

VIVO is video in/video out

If you need video input and video out then go for the one with VIVO. Are you ever going to connect any vcr or dvd player etc.. to your computer? Are you going to output to a tv?