Volt Mod 7900 gtx

edjahman

Does anyone know how to volt mod a 7900 gtx?? I read somewhere you can change the bios or use software to change the voltages. My gtx's run great but you know.......

Thank You.

--EJM

Does anyone know how to volt mod a 7900 gtx?? I read somewhere you can change the bios or use software to change the voltages. My gtx's run great but you know.......

Nvidia cards don't have any software level voltage regulation. Have to break out the 'ol soldering iron on this one chief.

Hmm, I read the guide on VR-Zone. Is it worth doing a voltage mod? I'm already running 716/895 ( lowered from 720/900 just to be safe, would not test higher then that on core clock) I really can't complain, but I am watercooling so if it's not going to hurt much and get another 80mhz on the core it might be worthwhile. Any opinions? I personally don't think it's worth it for another 30mhz at most.

From what I've done these 7900's, they seem to be completely memory limited. I just scored within 400 points of each other with 560/1720 and 650/1680 on 3dmark01. (non-modded - volt modded ) I'd say do the memory mod and the gpu mod in conjunction and it'd be worth it... otherwise, no. Yes, I got a totally stable 90mhz with the 1.2-1.5vmod.

From what I've done these 7900's, they seem to be completely memory limited. I just scored within 400 points of each other with 560/1720 and 650/1680 on 3dmark01. (non-modded - volt modded ) I'd say do the memory mod and the gpu mod in conjunction and it'd be worth it... otherwise, no. Yes, I got a totally stable 90mhz with the 1.2-1.5vmod.

You could be right as im not too familiar with nvidia cards atm..

But you should test with 3dmark03/05/06 when it comes to videocard overclocking.. I notice very little improvement with 01 when im messing with my videocard clocks..

I was getting the same results when I turn un the memory clock, in fact at some '01 tests it gets a bit lower. For example when I clocked the memory at 900 and test with '01 the result is a bit higher than when I got it clocked to 940. The only test that I saw higher scores is the '06 test.

I have seen people get as high as 1GHz core 2GHz mem with the volt mods, but this was done on phase change.I guess the memory is the tougher to clock out of the two as the samsung ICs have a theoretical limit of 900MHz. And feeding the GPU enough memory is paramount in acheiving a high enough overall overclock to see real world results.

I dont know about you, but I really dont have the time to devote to a triple cascade at the moment.

You could be right as im not too familiar with nvidia cards atm..

But you should test with 3dmark03/05/06 when it comes to videocard overclocking.. I notice very little improvement with 01 when im messing with my videocard clocks..

Yes, apparently the 01 is very CPU dependant. My rig ran nearly even (within 1000) with the a 2.8ghz 148/7900gtx computer with my old 560/1700/2.8ghz opty 170. With my GPU up higher the 05 and 06 scores have gone up considerably. I'll give a quick run down:

(2.8GHz-560/1720) _ (2.7GHz-650/1700)= (change)

01: 35589 _ 33540 : -2049

03: N/a _ 17877

05: 9926 _ 10371= +445

06: 5481 _ 5975= +494

No '03 scores yet.