Best 2x512MB and 2x1gb for nf2??

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would be the best 2x512MB and 2x1GB sets for the nf2, to get some 260ish FSBs?

I haven't seen a single instance of 2x1GB doing 260ish FSB in any NFII system. It's pretty tough to get 2x512MB with the majority of the higher FSB in the 230-250 range.

I've seen alot more doing 250-260FSB but with 2x256MB

--Fernando

Wouldn't it be possible to get 2x1Gb PC4000 running at 250 FSB ???

I'm looking to purchase a pair of gig sticks and it would be good if this were possible.

If it aint it still would be good to be able to reach 230 or would this be possible at PC3200 anyway thats what I'm not sure about.....It's all about the timings then and because I don't know what the real difference is between cas2 & cas3 etc I'm not so sure.

Will my board be stable with looser timings like cas3 in other words will it be stable at 250 FSB with a pair of 1Gb PC4000 @ stock settings i.e 3-4-4-8 or 3-3-2-8 ??

Indeed most users trying for 250ish is ambitious too say the least but to think of running 260ish of the bat :rolleyes: well let us know how ya get on :nod: :nod:

Oh and DFi sista's dont like Cas3 so i wouldnt think of running that, Cas2.5 is what you want to run her at ;) Still i seen plenty of Cas3 sticks do Cas2.5 so i dont think the mem would be the prob there, just the mobo, they dont like the 3 thing ;)

TO be honest the mem is gonna be a kinda "crapshoot" for ya, you will have to take the plunge and decide on what sticks ya want, hit the buy button and when you get them test them for the highest fsb.....plenty of refrence here on what others run for mem and what "they" can do, but at the end of the day you will have to see what runs best for you and your setup....its crap i know, as your in UK mem purchasing here is a real headache, alot of rma'ing and the like for good ocing stuffs.....

230ish fsb i think is a reasonable base to start with but without the mem in your rig and testing it, it will be kind of hard for a user to say "well yes, get that cause it does this"

Cas2 or Cas2.5 never 3......Rule of thumb........slack timings on that kinda mem i would be looking at 11,3,3,3,Cas2.5,13,15 to start with and then if its stabel i would tighten them up from there and test to see how they do,,,,,,again i dont and never have ran 2x1Gb but from what i can read and see it might be poss to hit the 250fsb but its gonna take the "right" mem and a whole load of test and try to get it right............

Me i run 2x256 so thats my refrence ;) they do 250fsb day to day 24/7 and can go to 260fsb for fun and benches etc,,,,,I couldnt be a$$ed with the hassle your havin just now so i bought 2x256 second hand Corsair XMS original BH5 PC3500 i cant fault them though they did cost me about £150 at the time, ouch!!!!!!i have had the for nearly 2 years now,,,,,,they run tight timings ie 11,2,2,2,Cas2,13,15, One thing to point out is the 11 in the timings it seems to be a lot of mem runs better with the 11 set no matter what the "rated" timings of your mem......keep it in mind when your testing your stuffs dude.....okay i rabbled enough i am oot of here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,later..................... :D

Thanks for the info....... you said you've seen plenty cas3 do cas2.5.

Ok so seeing that all the pairs that i'm looking at (can afford ;) ) are rated at cas3 for FSB 250, then I'll be trying to get cas2.5 and relaxing the timings. That's just like overclocking PC3200 that are rated at cas2 and trying to manage between 200-250 FSB at cas2.5 probably with relaxed timings.....this is starting to give me a headache!

Cheers I understand a whole lot more what i should be aiming for. I will be checking what others have managed more closely now & then I hope I can make a decision.

Yeah don't buy the G.SKILL 2GB Xtreme ram like I did. I would of returned it. But I am getting a ultra-d board.

That was one on top of my short list! I take it you can't get them stable?

Can you tell me why you aint happy with your sticks. What kind of speeds have you tried to get out of them or is it not worth it because you could have got those kind of speeds with pc3200 ???

I'm looking for a pair of pc3500 low latency sticks (2x1Gb) but all i can find available in the uk is Corsair. I found a pair of Patriots that look good but i can't find anywhere in the uk that has them in stock....they are PDC2G3500LLK they look good too.

But i've hard TCCD won't do low latencies under nf2... is that true?

I can get cas 2 with my TCCD (2x512mb) up to 235FSB (e.g., 2-3-3-X) and with cas 2.5 I can get up to 250FSB (e.g., 2.5-3-3-X). For the tightest timings with cas 2, I can get up to 210FSB (e.g., 2-2-2-X).

Does that help?

--Fernando

But as for chips, what are we talking about? Just the same three?

- Old Scholl BH-5/6

- UTT CH-5 (Neva UTT BH-5, for my own experience)

- TCCD

But i've hard TCCD won't do low latencies under nf2... is that true?

For the LPA I'd go with TCCD because it does well with the lower mem voltage.

My TCCD is rated at 2-2-2-5 and it runs fine on both of my boards. On the LPB it gets a bit picky at cas 2.5 but it runs great at cas 2.