1900Xt Bios Flash to 1900XTX

I've been reading up on this topic and since I've been bitten by the OC bug I decided to try it (clearly I'd have to be crazy to be unsatisfied with a 1900XT....I can't find any more eyecandy to enable in CSS and I am getting 100+ FPS).

I got the Sapphire X1900XTX bios from the TechPowerUps site and followed all instructions for Winflash. I was able to flash the bios no problem and it works fine in 2d mode, but as soon as I enter a game and the clocks ramp up to 3d mode I get artifacts and the game locks up.

I've seen a lot of people with my card do this with no problems whatsoever so I guess I am wondering if there's something simple I'm not doing? Do I need to disable the Hotkey Puller when flashing the bios or is that only when using software to OC? It seems like this might be a simple memory voltage issue but I'm a somewhat scared of killing my card. Bios is easy, I can just flash it back and it works fine. But if I damage the VRAM I am going to be :mad:

I was successful as well with flashing my Sapphire X1900XT to the Sapphire X1900XTX, but didn't notice any issue with artifacts in 3DMODE like you've mentioned. Besides i'm able to use OverDrive @689/792 w/Overclocker.exe only for the Fan @max speed rpm. Not sure if you're using any utilities there to bump up your fan speed while at higher overclocks or not. Now before you flashed did you check to see which memory speed you have on your card, 1.1/1.2ns? Did you even try using the Overdrive to overclock your card at all before the flash? When you enter a game how long does it take for the screen to artifact? You need to use OverClocker.exe to manually set the speed for your GFX CARD fan to 100% when entering in 3DMODE. I hope this helps....

It takes about 10 seconds for the aritfacts to start, then 5-10 seconds more before the game locks up and the screen goes black. Then the image will come back for about 1-2 seconds every 5 seconds until I alt-tab out and force quit.

I haven't checked the memory speed but I plan to when I get home from "work." It's my understanding that the last 2 digits on the ram chip will tell me the speed (either 1.1 or 1.2). Is that a limiting factor? I haven't seen anything saying that cards with 1.2ns memory will not reach XTX speeds.

I haven't used overclocker.exe (been using atitool) and I haven't explored all the tweaking options yet because so far I don't have any games that need the card to be overclocked anyway :D . I appreciate the advice and I try out your suggestions later. Thanks!

You've been using ATI TOOL, which version (Beta13/14) and for exactly what? I've been having issue with the latest ATI TOOL Beta14, but it could of been something simple since now i'm more aware of voltages and frequencies for these X1900 Series cards. Supposably the 2dmode for X1900XT/XTX are 500/600 @1.125v for Core and 3dmode are 625/725 or 650/775 @1.425v for the core. So the first thing i would do is uninstall ATI TOOL and just use the OverDrive (Enabled in CCC) just for now @650/775 XTX clocks, but when you enter a game make sure you downloaded Overclocker.exe and have already loaded it to manually set the speed of your X1900 fan to max because these cards are very sensitive to heat.

My first impression was that maybe your card can't overclock to XTX speeds and when you did flash it would do what you've mentioned, but now it might either be different or still the same. Since now i know you've been using ATI TOOL and probably not setting your fan speed to high when playing games at whichever resolutions and settings. I hope this helps, please verify when you do get home if my suggestions helped at all, thanks. :)

I downloaded atitool beta 14 to test the max overclocks of core and memory and to configure my card settings but I haven't had time to really mess with it too much yet. I've been avoiding CCC for some time now. I was frustrated by the way it would run 2 or more instances of itself at a time and on older versions it would lag really bad upon opening or sometimes not open at all. On my old machine I installed the latest driver package and then use control panel to remove the Control Center. I used Powerstrip to configure the card and I thought I would probably do the same on my new machine. I had heard that Powerstrip and Atitool were similar so I was trying out Atitool.

I'll post an update when I get home and let you know what my results are. Your suggestions make sense so far and I appreciate them very much. Thanks again.

Update:

Overclocker.exe doesn't seem to work for me. I get three error messages in the following order:

1. Could not load device driver

2. Error Reading video bios

3. Error in opening R5CLKIB.DLL

If I leave it open these error messages keep popping up until they fill the task bar. Eventually the program closes and windows asks me if I want to report an error.

Update Part 2:

Playing around with CCC and Overdrive, it looks like somewhere between 745-750 mhz is when the memory starts giving artifacts. I haven't pulled the card out to look at what kind of memory it has but clearly whatever it is, it can't handle XTX speeds. I'm not worried, it's still a very good card. Thanks for the input though Mack27, I guess I'm not one of the lucky ones whose cards can clock higher(though still lucky enough to own an X1900XT).

Update Part 2:

Playing around with CCC and Overdrive, it looks like somewhere between 745-750 mhz is when the memory starts giving artifacts. I haven't pulled the card out to look at what kind of memory it has but clearly whatever it is, it can't handle XTX speeds. I'm not worried, it's still a very good card. Thanks for the input though Mack27, I guess I'm not one of the lucky ones whose cards can clock higher(though still lucky enough to own an X1900XT).

The only problem I saw was that you flashed your bios and didn't disable hotkey first which causes faulty flashes anyway.

I'd try flashing again and make sure you disable hotkey puller.

I have a question for those who have flashed an XT to an XTX.

I recently poped the HSF off my ATi X1900XT and found that the memory was 1.1ns so based on that i was good to go. So i got the ATi XTX bios from Techpowerup, put it on a floppy with atiflash, booted into dos and force flashed from there. Now, when i go into windows, programs like Everest still show my card as being an XT but CCC now has the default requested clocks to that of an XTX. So basically my questions are:

1] Do your flashed cards show up as XTX's in apps? or still XT's?

2] What programs can i use that actually determine the difference between XT's and XTX's as opposed to "Radeon X1900 Series" Not that it really matters, i just figured that since the BIOS was changed, that the descriptions in the programs would change as well.

Thanks.