Sign in to follow this  
boggy

7900GTX SLi is my PSU enough?

ExRoadie you make a very good point. Of course I live on the edge as it is so...well I say no to less than 500watt, especially for SLI.

Well you are right about the 450W being the bare minimum but I have a 535W Enrermax. It should go but i'm still a bit scared, real world and my math are always different...

According to Nvidia No it's not enough.

I had an antec 550W PSU with two 7800GTX 512 cards (they draw almost the same as the 7900 GTX cards at the same performance level) and my games were stable (except for Oblivion) but I replaced it anyways because Nvidia said it wasn't stable with these new cards. Aftrer emailing antec support they told me they were unable to say it would be stable so I just went ahead and bought a SLI certified PSU (see sig) I also have plans to add more hard drives, maybe water cool, and add a PPU card so I need all the power I can get.

Dual GeForce 7900 GTX or Dual GeForce 7800 GTX 512 MB*

FSP Group EPSILON FX600-GLN 600W

FSP Group EPSILON FX700-GLN 700W

PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW (TC1KW)

PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-Quad SLI (TC1KW4E)

PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool® 850 SLI (850ETX-PFC)

Silverstone ST56ZF 560W

Sparkle Power FSP600-80GLC

Sparkle Power FSP650-80GLC

Sparkle Power FSP550PLG-SLI 550W

Thermaltake PurePower Power Express 250W (W0099)**

Those are the approved SLI GTX PSU's. That is what you should follow.

Dual GeForce 7900 GTX or Dual GeForce 7800 GTX 512 MB*

FSP Group EPSILON FX600-GLN 600W

FSP Group EPSILON FX700-GLN 700W

PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW (TC1KW)

PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-Quad SLI (TC1KW4E)

PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool® 850 SLI (850ETX-PFC)

Silverstone ST56ZF 560W

Sparkle Power FSP600-80GLC

Sparkle Power FSP650-80GLC

Sparkle Power FSP550PLG-SLI 550W

Thermaltake PurePower Power Express 250W (W0099)**

Just remember that part of becoming nVidia certified is making sure your check doesn't bounce.

If you go by what that link said, they you should be ok. But just to be safe I would step it up.

and yes, nvidia does want your money, like it or not part of nvidia certification is making a "donation" to nvidia. all those ones listed happen to be good psu's , execpt for I don't understand that Thermaltake at the bottem, oh well stay away from Thermaltake. There is an example, Thermaltake has some nvidia certified PSU's, but Thermaltake is crap, at least for PSU's; they have some ok cases though,lol.

I found reviews where they used a system with 2 7900GTX in SLi coupled with an OCZ 520W so I should be ok. I wil try and at worst i will upgrade my PSU later.

I will report about this if you are interested.

I found reviews where they used a system with 2 7900GTX in SLi coupled with an OCZ 520W so I should be ok.

Do not be confused by power supply ratings. An OCZ PowerStream 520 is vastly superior to a no name 520W PSU.

A lot depends upon the components and test methods. The OCZ is built from quality parts with excellent manufacturing techniques. OCZ rates their output at realistic temperatures with wide margins.

A no name PSU may use inferior components and build quality and rate the output at unrealisticly low temperatures like you see in product literature if they even post it.

PSU output decreases as temps increase. A PSU rated for 520W at 25C may actually only output 200W at 44C which is a much more realistic operating temp.

This is why we recommend you stay with manufacturers that have consistently proved their quality and performance.

Sign in to follow this