Sign in to follow this  
Mutemedia

X2 Dual Core only showing one core

Vin86,

the ACPI is under computers at the top of DM. can u open that and tell me what you have listed?

Win XP MCE is exactly the same as xp pro it just has the media center module which gives you another way to handle media files fyi

i have the offical bios that came with my board and it picked it up and have no problems -

try to make a back up of your hard drive to cd or dvd and reinstall windows xp pro

see if that works -

i would put the bios settings to default to be safe

you may not have to do that - but if it were me

i put it to default - reinstall xp

before sending your cpu back - i am sure its some kind of software issue -

this is only what i think and what i would try -

i dont know if this would fix your issue but it may be a worth a shot

under computers it says 'Advanced Config and Power Interface (ACPI) PC and thats it.

You need to reinstall OS and choose the proper HAL .

(press F5 in the beginning when it list press F6 to load scsi/raid driver)

Use the arrow keys to scroll in the hw abstract layer and select "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" .

ACPI PC ,HAL doesnt support mulicore .

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299340/

You may try changing it in device manager under computer - ACPI -

right click - driver tab - Update driver - search winupdate =no - install from list .. -

don't choose ,i will choose .... - availible HAL's to sawp to will be displayed .

Choose ACPI Multiprocessor PC (if listed) .

Edit : btw ..

Seems you can't change from ACPI PC to ACPI Multiprocessor

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=309283

A repair install with F5 and ACPI Multiprocessor should do it .

syar, i think you just nailed that one. thx! that was a nice post.

- i've got lots (~100gb) on the drive i dont wanna lose so i assume i need to image this off of the drive to be safe. have to admit i've never done backups and thus dunno much about 'em but guess thats about to change.

- is it possible to partition the drive and do a fresh install of same os there to test it? my guess tells me no that it must be a diff os if on same drive?

- is it ever a good idea to do a reinstall from the recovery options, just replacing windows and (allegedly) leaving all personal files intact? or does that usually cause more instability than its worth?

Thx to all repliers! someday i'll know enough to realize idkj..

Mutemedia, I have the exact same problem. I am using XP MCE 2002 rolled up to 2005. I installed the OS again, pressing F5 and selecting ACPI Multiprocessor PC, but it defaulted back to ACPI PC. I am beginning to think it is the OS so I'm going to try installing XP SP2 to see if that works.

Mutemedia, I have the exact same problem. I am using XP MCE 2002 rolled up to 2005. I installed the OS again, pressing F5 and selecting ACPI Multiprocessor PC, but it defaulted back to ACPI PC. I am beginning to think it is the OS so I'm going to try installing XP SP2 to see if that works.

any luck?

It sounds like an OS issue, have you got to the MicroSoft website and looked for the DUAL CORE patch? Also if you want to make an image or Ghost your drive all you need to do is have another drive handy and download the Trial Version of Acronis True Image Home Version 9, the best i've seen and very very easy. If my suggestions workout for you, try installing Windows XP SP1/SP2 and see if you see the two cores there, but i think your OS is the issue for your dual core processor not being recognized. Hope this helps....

Yeah I tried and tried to force the drivers in without reinstalling but there is no way to do it that I could tell. So I did a new install as well and that worked. It was definitely windows causing the problem. See syar2003's post above for the solution so if anyone else has this problem they can see exactly what the solution is. Thanks to all who replied!!!

Here is the procedure for updating the dual core amd driver, msn hotfix & registry update (as detailed here):

PLEASE BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY FIRST!!

1 - Install the amd drivers, download it from here... http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/..._13118,00.html

2 - read this website and download the hotfix....READ here http://support.microsoft.com/?id=896256 ........Download here http://www.amdzone.com/files/WinXPdualcorehotfix.exe

3 - Edit your registry to enable the HOTFIX, follow these steps.

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.

2. Right-click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetContro lSession Manager, point to New, and then click Key.

3. Type Throttle for the new key name.

4. Right-click Throttle, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.

5. Type PerfEnablePackageIdle for the value name.

6. Right-click PerfEnablePackageIdle, and then click Modify.

7. In the Edit DWORD Value box, type 1. In the Value data box, make sure that Hexadecimal is selected, and then click OK.

8. Quit Registry Editor.

4 - Make sure your BOOT.ini has this command in it, /usepmtimer to check, right click on My Computer go to properties, click on the ADVANCE tab, then under startup and recovery click on settings, then click on EDIT....make sure your boot.ini looks like this

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

ACPI & Multiprocessor Info

Forced HAL during windows install