Sign in to follow this  
Mutemedia

X2 Dual Core only showing one core

Did I miss something?? I noticed awhile back (but didnt comprehend it I guess) that only one core was showing up in CPU-Z and today when submitting 3DMark scores to the db, realized that my freaking processor is only running on one core! It never occurred to me before that it could function perfectly on one core. I thought it wouldn't boot at all if one was out.

WTH! Am I missing some kind of update or something? I did a search and nothing really stands out from what I've found. System is completely stable on the OC but realized that my 3DMark scores were lower than similar systems. I OC'ed yesterday to 245 * 11 2700mhz on a 3/4 divider @ 2-3-3-8 1T and was stable and got 4006 in 3DM '06 but my cpu score was like 1075 and other X2 4200's were all above 1600.

Anyone seen this or am I missing a step somewhere? I don't ever recall seeing 2 cores in CPU-Z, 3DMark and actually could never get 2 instances of Prime to open now that I think of it....

help?

btw, my bios is 11/05 version

Guest Ryn

Try to install the AMD drivers and the MS Hotfix for dual core. I believe they have a guide at XtremeSys for installing the drivers and hotfix.

ok I installed the AMD drivers and MS Hotfix and updated the reg as explained above and no probs doing any of that but the problem remains... am only recognizing core 0 and not core 1.

any other ideas? i dont have a spare hd to reinstall windows and dont wanna lose whats on my hd now.

could this be related to the bios version?

ok I installed the AMD drivers and MS Hotfix and updated the reg as explained above and no probs doing any of that but the problem remains... am only recognizing core 0 and not core 1.

any other ideas? i dont have a spare hd to reinstall windows and dont wanna lose whats on my hd now.

could this be related to the bios version?

it could be...what bios u running?

the 11/05 bios

Edit: actually flashing back to the 6/23 bios wouldn't help much do you think (back being relative to release dates, I've not used any bios but 11/15 since Feb '06 purchase...)

when you go into task manager and the performance tab, do you see two graphs? (one for each core). if you do, then its an issue with CPUZ. if not, then windows is having issues, assuming your BIOS supports dual core cpus.

if you go into device manager and go to your processor tabs, then right click on the processor and click uninstall, then it will remove your CPU and force windows to redetect it upon reboot. when you reboot, it could recognize it as a dual core cpu and show both cores.

when you go into task manager and the performance tab, do you see two graphs? (one for each core). if you do, then its an issue with CPUZ. if not, then windows is having issues, assuming your BIOS supports dual core cpus.

if you go into device manager and go to your processor tabs, then right click on the processor and click uninstall, then it will remove your CPU and force windows to redetect it upon reboot. when you reboot, it could recognize it as a dual core cpu and show both cores.

- no only one graph in TM. it's not cpu-z either, any prog that can distinguis 2 cores only 'sees' one, even if the processor is recog. as an X2

- I have 2 entries under processors in DM and tried uninstalling and nada, however I am getting the right info displayed during post (before it wasn't mentioning Athlon X2 DC 4200+ 2 Cores... at all it was saying 'core0: ddr400, blah, blah)

so at this point I'm absolutely certain, with a low level of confidence, that it is either 1) busted processor destined for RMA 2) windows xp (MCE sp2 btw) is not recognizing what i've got or 3) somehow the board/bios isn't giving my X2 a shout out.

btw, in DM under computers it says 'Advanced Config and Power Interface (ACPI) PC and thats it. i thought i read that it should have something else there. can somebody with an X2 check and see pls?

attachment.php?attachmentid=&stc=1

it should be under the processors tab as such:

dualcpu6it.th.jpg

EDIT: do you mean it only shows ACPI PC? thats weird... of course im not very familiar with Windows XP MCE.