Arctic Silencer 6 fits 7900GT!

Guest YuKoN_merged

Guest YuKoN

Here I'm sitting...... bummed because my video card beat the VF900 to my door. so I figure what the heck- I oughta test her out stock before I change the cooler anyways.

Then I pull the 6600gt out of the comp to install the 7900 when I start comparing the mounting holes between the 7900 stock cooler and my arctic silencer 6(they do not yet sell a compatible AC cooler for 7900's). I'm looking on the 7900- wait a minute! wtf is this? a second set of holes that perfectly match the silencer 6! so I installed it for test fit. well I'll be damned! it fits just like it was made for it! No modding involved- just bolt it on exactly as it fit 6600gt. So I applied the paste and bolted her on!

Trying it out- started playing battlefield, temp didn't get above 51C. of course this is still stock clocks- but I had similar results with the 6600gt. the arctic cooling thermal paste takes 200 hours of use to be really effective, then temps get better.

who knows- if it works out, I may have a VF900 NIB for sale! but I'll have to see what happens after my stock testing is done, and then test after voltmod. I'll let you guys know...........

Guest YuKoN

Highest Temp so far has been during 3dmark 06- 57C. scored 4332, my best previous '06 was 3890 on 7800GT @ 490/1180 with same setup. So I'm fairly pleased with the card so far. I think the VF900 will be the better cooler when it arrives- but this is working for now, and I can't hear it run so it's still better than stock!

• 1 month later...

Hello....another user of the NV6 here....don't know who sussed it out first but i got my info from xs as i was looking for another cooler for my sli as 2 vf900's will nor fit on a dfi-ultra.....all i had to do was file one of the thumb screws down a bit and now works a treat....and i must say performs well. :nod:

Edit: Here's a pic...as you can see thumb screws on zalman would get in the way.....on the NV6 only the one in the front needs to be filed down a bit.

Guest YuKoN

maybe a good solution for sli rigs that gpu isn't clocked too high.(who needs o/c with sli anyway lol) I see better temps with the vf900cu. but the silencer is way better than stock. only downside is it only cools the ram by blowing a little air out of the bottom, just like the stock cooler.

@ Timmay: It sits on the core perfectly. absolutely bolts on- using existing holes, but not the same holes as the stock cooler. you'll see 2 other holes right next to the stock cooler holes. bolts on exactly as it would on the 6600 GT.

This is good news YuKoN. Now I'm even more eager to order a new graphics card. What do you think? Is it possible to use heatsinks for the memory after istalling the cooler. Is there enoug room?

seems like with the ram installed under the NVsilener there would be alot of hotspots and dead air.

Unless you are getting a NVsilencer 6 for a price alot cheaper than the NVsilencer5 rev3 its a waste. The NVsilencer5 rev3 fits the core perfect and the ram cooling is a little off centered. I can confirm that the NVs 5 rev3 fits.

Ive been seeing the NV6 @ 24.00 and the NV5 rev3 @ 20.00

check www.svc.com

Note that the 6600GT comes with RAMsinks applied and the NV 6 is designed for that card. I will use OCZ BGA copper RAMsinks to deal with the RAM on 7900GT. I think the NV 6 looks a neater option as it requires no modding and combined with RAmsinks should deal with overclocking and volt modding temps effectively. Will post when I get all the bits.

Update 1/06 - NV 6 fitted straight on no problems. OCZ RAmsink okay for clearance - needed to slightly offset on the 2 RAm's under the front of the cooler.

I am happy - Nice and quiet - Initial temps with the AS5 idle 41 - load 53.

when I get a conductive pen I will do the volt mod. Tried with conductive paint but it is too thin and went all over the place. Will post temps when done.

Thanks for the heads up YuKon.