Sign in to follow this  
shinobi89

Not booting with SATA 4 unless Primary IDE is connected

My Maxtor is hooked up in SATA 4, and has all my data on it. The WD HD is on Secondary IDE and is wiped clean, yet my computer won't post or boot unless it's plugged in. Why is this? If I don't need the HD in my computer cae, then what do I have set wrong in my BIOS?

I'm not sure what you mean. What steps do I need to take to just boot this sucker from SATA 3? If I unplug the second IDE (WD HD) nothing shows up on my screen. I don't need the second drive taking up space in my case. Hey! I rhymed, yo!!

Learners permit means that many times (if you have a Sata and a Pata HDD attached), windows will place the boot files on the IDE drive even though the rest of the files get placed on the Sata. Best way to avoid this is to unplug all Pata drives when installing OS on a Sata.

CAn you not go into the XP DOS mode thingy (cant remember what it's called) via the repair option and do a bootcfg list or search, something like that, think you can alsi add a boot option via that as well..

Huh. Well, in My Computer, the WD HD isn't even shwoing anything on it. It keeps asking me to re-format it.

I'm not sure where to change it in DOS. Guess I'll deal with it until I build another system.

So format it save all files you wanna keep from your current install and unplug it then reinstall a fresh copy of Windoze to you sata shut down and reconnect the pata drive so you can access your saved files.