file missing ???

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this is a bit of it but i just coped his 1 .

Make sure your BOOT.ini has this command in it, /usepmtimer to check, right click on My

Computer go to properties, click on the ADVANCE tab, then under startup and recovery click on settings, then click on EDIT....make sure your boot.ini looks like this

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOW S

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

Finally your done, if anyone has any questions feel free to PM me, hopefully this will be a help to alot of people.

OK, since some people switch to single core after having issues with dual core, here is a simple way to remove the Hotfix and drivers.

1 - Uninstall the Hotfix, go into ad/remove programs, click on show updates and remove update numbered KB896256

2 - Reverse the registry entry.

3 - Uninstall the AMD drivers.

4 - Go into your boot.ini and remove /usepmtimer, and your done.

I had this problem, if you do these three things it should work.

1. Make sure the disk you are trying to install or image windows to is THE PRIMARY PARTITION

2. Make sure this primary partition has been SET ACTIVE. This is done from the DOS command prompt with the command FDISK. You might need to boot with a floppy or CD and find the FDISK.exe if it will not work. You could probably set it ACTIVE by hooking the HDD to another pc and doing it with windows software.

3. If you still get the HAL.DLL error , download HAL.DLL from the net with another PC and use a bootdisk and copy it to the correct location ROOT>SYSTEM 32HAL.DLL.

That should work.

I would try for atleast 10 minutes, then see if it will work. If not it could be worth leaving it out for 8-12 hours.

Just to clarify something, you havent swapped keyboards while the computer was powered on have you? That would be a very bad thing.