Networking Pc's in seprate locations?

dr_bowtie

It's kinda like the title says....

How do I network another pc to my network from another location....

Heres what I have... I have verizon DSL at my house with a Westell modem hooked to a Network Everywhere router (linksys elcheapo) I have 3 pc's hooked to this router with DCHP enabled (whatever that is)...

I networked all the pc's to be seen by the internet so other can view them...then I have another pc across town I want to network to my network...I used XP wizard and put in my work group but it can see it....It is also on Verizon DSL straight from the modem (no router yet)

I do not know much about this so that makes me a dummy but I am trying to learn as I go....so far so good till now...can anyone help me....

The reason I want to network these is so I can move 4 gig files back and forth.... or try to....

VPN.

an option is to hook up the 2 locations using VPN-capable routers.... then theyre both will be in the same domain. create the VPN tunnel from both end and ur good to go. the rest is sharing files and printers....

or u could set up an FTP server on 1 end, and use NetDrive program to create a network virtual drive...... this way u dont need to network it if all u wanna do is moving files back n forth....

Use a program called "Hamachi" google it and download, create a network with password, join with all the other computers and you're done! Won't screw with your other network settings and you can share files, play LAN games, basically everything a real LAN can do, just that it runs thru teh internet.

This gets complicated real quickly so you may want to get some assistance from a buddy that has some experience. The following is a very basic description of what needs to happen.

Your router has an IP address that is visible on the internet. You can determine what your public IP address is by visiting http://whatismyip.com

Odds are that your local computers have IP addresses like 192.168.1.100 and such. You can find this by opening a CMD box and issuing the command "ipconfig /all" without the quotes of course.

Any IP address that starts with 192.168 is not routable across the open internet.

The next thing you must do is open ports on your router and direct them to the specific IP address on your network for the particular computer you want to communicate with.

Since you'll want to make sure the IP address on the local computers never change, you will need to assign each PC a permanent IP address.

In the end what happens is that your public IP address sees a request to connect with a specific port. The router sees that port request and knows to send it to a specific IP address on your network. This allows the external computer to talk to the internal computer directly.

your right Ex...

thats alot of work...but maybe the best way....I downloaded and installed Hamachi on one of my networked pc's and it works good....Then we installed it on a pc across town...after disabling norton on that pc we can connect and share...only problem is...hamachi is blocking my netowork here at home...other pc's on the network cannot access the pc with hamachi installed....even when I run the wizard again...so i think all pc with have to have the hamachi installed...?

yes, i believe it does.

sorry, forgot bout hamachi, but regarding the vpn stuff...

in the router you has, the lynksys cheapo, look for VPN settings. if its there, u can continue, if there isnt, hamachi is good.

if there is, and the other end is a straight modem-computer, you can create a Roaming user VPN type. check the manual of ur router or call techsupport to get help set this up.

if the other end has a router as well, that other router must have VPN capablities as well, and u dont want RoamingUser, u want VPN Tunnel....

just another oppinion.......

i am still working on this....the Hamachi some how is meesing up my home network...The main pc can see all other pc's but the other 2 can only see 2 but not all 3...1 can see this one and the other cant see that one...man this is fun... but so far I got them doing what I want...I may install the hamachi on all of the pc's and see what happens...?