Ultra-D overheating at resume from standby

Guest macgamesrule

Guest macgamesrule

My system was fine for the last 3 months; idle temps 30C, load about 40C. Then about 2 weeks ago, my CPU started to overheat; sometimes randomly at startup, but I can reliably cause the overheating if I put the computer on standby, then try to bring it back up. The temp jumps to ~58C at idle, and the voltages as reported by SmartGuardian are low across the board - 11.5V, 4.7V, etc. However when I measure the voltages with a multimeter, they are practically their nominal values of 12, 5, and 3.3. Therefore my PSU is not the problem.

I believe that this is a hardware issue, and not just SmartGuardian reporting incorrect values, since the first few times I attempted to bring up the system from standby, the whole computer shut down. When I went into the BIOS and upped the CPU shutdown temperature from 60C to 65C, the system shutdown ceased occurring and I was able to bring the computer back from standby into Windows, where SmartGuardian reported temps of ~59C. Since the shutdown is controlled by the BIOS, not SmartGuardian, it appears that the BIOS is seeing the high temps too.

I would like to know what steps I can take to correct this issue, and if I can't, RMA the mobo for a replacement. Thanks

actually if you check the real temps, I think you'll see that only the temp sensors are reporting incorrectly resuming from standby...the actual temps are not getting that high.

This is a known issue (resuming from standby and having temps show about 20C too high).

There is no fix for this.

There is nothing wrong with your motherboard.

The DFI Lanparty series motherboards are built purely for overclocking, and because of such a design, certain features on 'vanilla' boards don't always work correctly anymore (resume from standby and hibernate are two features that usually take a hit along with Cool & Quiet).

You are free to RMA your board as many times as you want, but you will find that each and every board will do the same thing upon resume from Standby.

The only real answer is just shut the computer down when not using it, or just have the monitor turn off after 15 minutes or whatever and leave the rig running.

Guest macgamesrule

No I don't think I'll RMA it if it's just an incorrect reporting issue, and another board would do the same. I was just concerned about the temps stressing out the CPU etc., if in fact they're not that high, then I will simply avoid using standby.

Thanks for the quick reply :D:D

Edit: The strange thing is, I don't think this started happening until just recently. I used standby for the first several months that I had it, without the overheat alarm triggering. Guess it's the same as our circuits projects at school- one time you plug them in they work, the next time they don't...

just make sure you check with your fingers or a temp probe the next time it comes out of standby...if the cpu sink is truly 60C or higher, you will know by touching it, and that is a bad thing

but

all the issues of this kind we have seen are 99.99% of the time only a faulty sensor reading coming out of standby

Standby, Hibernate . . . Yuk

Why waste disk space when you can just press the power button. Even better do like AG recommended. Just set your monitor to shut off after 15 minutes. Every p/c in my house is on practically 24/7.

Last month's electric bill $5,427.00 (only kidding) :)