SLI-DR Dead as Doornail :(

Hi,

Been using my SLI-DR for the last 3 months & it's been great. Today I went to power on & she is dead as a doornail.

I completely stripped the system down to the bare minimum, Vid/1 stick of ram/ cpu.

Now when I hit the power on button it powers up for a brief second then switches itself off. If I pull the P4 connector out & hit the power button she powers up, but I get 4 red led's but doesnt boot.

When I plug the P4 connector in it powers up for a brief second, all 4 leds come on then it switches itself off.

Almost like it is shorting out on somthing?? I've tried 4 different power supplies but still no joy :(

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

C-BuZz

Guest Timmay

Hey dude, its timmay556 here ;)

Have you tried pulling the battery and leving it out for a few minutes (might have to do a few hours) with out the PSU plugged in. That will clear everthing.

I had a similar problem once, after flashing my BIOS. Board would power on, but nothing visually on the screen.

- Power down system

- Unplug the PSU

- Set the CMOS jumper to reset

- Let it set for awhile (15 minutes was enough for me)

- Put jump back

- Connect power and boot up

- If it boots up, and you are able to get into the BIOS make sure to load the optimized defaults.

Hey dude, its timmay556 here ;)

Have you tried pulling the battery and leving it out for a few minutes (might have to do a few hours) with out the PSU plugged in. That will clear everthing.

heya dude :) yeah I tried pulling the battery for half an hour. I've noticed that when I power on, it powers on for like 1/5th of a second then I hear a small "click" then it swithes itself off. The yellow light near the 4 red led's & the yellow light near the ram stays on after that. Got me baffeled.

I had a similar problem once, after flashing my BIOS. Board would power on, but nothing visually on the screen.

- Power down system

- Unplug the PSU

- Set the CMOS jumper to reset

- Let it set for awhile (15 minutes was enough for me)

- Put jump back

- Connect power and boot up

- If it boots up, and you are able to get into the BIOS make sure to load the optimized defaults.

Mine doesnt even power on, well it does for like a millisecond then I hear a very faint "click" then it powers off again.

C-BuZz

Hello fellow OCAU'er ;)

Out of interest, tried different RAM, different RAM slots, another CPU or BIOS chip?

Notice any blow capacitors and/or browning along circuits?

I already assume you have tried it on a bench set-up to avoid any shorting out.

Might be a victim of the vap. Notice any condensation?

Either way, sorry to hear dude :( Best of luck and be sure to let us know if you get it back up :)

Second to what centy said. seems to be a rather more common problem, and seems to have exacerbated over the last few months. my sli-dr is off to rotterdam today (lucky board) to be rma'ed and will see. have an abit sli board in now works like a charm. and as it uses heat pip tech, cant hear a thing bar for my watercooling fans.

hope yours comes back to life. you will soon get a message saying youfave to do a 24 hr cmos clear, just wait. :)

I removed my post because I said that I was getting EXACTLY the same problems, but mine was slighty different. I was only getting a single red light at the top right of the mobo and the power light was amber. fans attempted to spin for about 0.2ms

It did die in it's sleep though.. so it didn't suffer at all. Very sudden though.. no overclocking involved either :/

I think the best thing now is it check each component....

DO you see both the amber leds turning up?

Were you ocing? did you have any teperature problems..?

Try swapping the battery.. if not try a different psu.. sometimes they can just die.. or check your psu in another rig..

any chance you can check your cpu on another rig?

you have it out of case right?

Just out of couriosity, does the motherboard actually boot up with NO perephials plugged into it at all? I mean without CPU/Ram plugged into it? I think i've tried this before on my old ultra-d & the motherboard actually turned on & powered up? I just tried this with my DR & its doing exactly the same thing. Turn on for millisecond then switch itself off...

CPU Protection?

What do you mean?

Hello fellow OCAU'er ;)

Out of interest, tried different RAM, different RAM slots, another CPU or BIOS chip?

Notice any blow capacitors and/or browning along circuits?

I already assume you have tried it on a bench set-up to avoid any shorting out.

Might be a victim of the vap. Notice any condensation?

Either way, sorry to hear dude :( Best of luck and be sure to let us know if you get it back up :)

Heya mate, seems a lot's of OCAU members here ;) Have tried diff ram/cpu, havent tried bios chip though. Yes the system is sitting on a wooden bench so there's no shorting there. Definately no condensation heh. I've got the HSF on atm.

did you try swapping out the battery? any CR2032 battery will suffice

havent tried that, i'll give it a sho :thumbup:

I think the best thing now is it check each component....

DO you see both the amber leds turning up?

Were you ocing? did you have any teperature problems..?

Try swapping the battery.. if not try a different psu.. sometimes they can just die.. or check your psu in another rig..

any chance you can check your cpu on another rig?

you have it out of case right?

It has been done. All componenets have been tested individually. So its down to the motherboard.

Yes I overclock, 3.2Ghz 24/7, 3.5Ghz for benching :) Temps are usually in the negatives as I phase change.

When I plug the psu into the mobo I get 1 amber light near the 4 red leds. When I hit the power on button on the mobo it powers on then switches itself off. When it switches itself off both amber lights are on. Near ram & near the 4 red leds..

Thanks to all the replies so far. But I think its almost time to put the old girl in her grave.

I thought someone may have experienced an issue like this, but I have done quite a few searches & I couldnt find anyone with this exact issue :(

Thanks again all

C-BuZz