1GB performance RAM vs 2GB value RAM

etherboy

Title.

I have 1GB value... I can afford to go for 2GB of value RAM or 1GB of performance RAM...

What would yield better results for game performance coupled with my setup (see sig)...

Planning on getting a GeForce 7900GT at the same time too...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest burningrave101

The 2GB of RAM will yield much better performance in games that can benefit from more then a gig like WoW, BF2, Oblivion, ect.

Guest area51

When I tried to run Quake 4 at Ultra high settings with 1GB...worst slide show ever. Popped in 2Gb and bam ran like butter. Noticed dramatic increases in FEAR and BF2 as well.

I would definitely say go with the 2GB that technodanvan linked to above. Can't beat them.

Guest shaolin95

I can say is true. If you check my previous posts I was very aprehensive about leaving my beloved BH5 OCZ VX memory with its 2-2-2-5 timings @ 250FSB and moving to 2gig of slow timing memory. The thruth is that for high end gaming 2gigs is a must. Before I couldnt run Quake 4 at ultra high and 1600x1200 cause it would take forever to load...now its ultra smooth as in my jaw dropped. Same with FEAR, 1600x1200 with 1gig meant lots of pauses for loading that completely took me out of the experience...with 2 gigs its like my PC is supercharged simply because there are no pauses just butter smooth transitions. While I would love to have a 2gig 2-2-2-5 memory stick for some applications like Winrar and stuff like SuperPi,... if I have to choose again I will get the 2gig cause its benefits in gaming and video encoding (not to mention Sonar 5) more than make up for the loose timings.

Regards

Read this post by Angry_Games, regarding the minimum requirements for DFI boards.

The requirements are 24-pin power connector and 480W.

From everything that I have read, I believe you would be better off to purchase 2GB of good quality standard RAM than purchase any "value" RAM.

2 gigs of any ram is a must in my opinion, when it comes to gaming. Any new game will run better on any 2gig set then then even the highest OCed 1gig set. FEAR, BF2, EQ2, WoW, Quake 4, Doom3, Black and White 2, Oblivion, ANY game you are going to want to play that came out in the past year any games to follow are almost not playable with 1 gig of ram. Now granted your video card is really where you get the biggest jump in performance, but right after that is the ram. Just built wife a gaming PC and it has DFI Lanparty SLI-D, 2.0 ghz Opteron, 7900Gt, 2 gigs of normal DDR400 G skill ram, which you can buy at newegg for like 130 bucks, and her rig is not OCed in the slightest and she runs Quake4 on Max settings and 1280x1024 res and it runs like butter. Imho the only thing that matter when it comes to ram is the MB, not the MHZ really. I OCed my ram on my rig and saw almost no difference in performance. Yes you get a tiny gain from nicer, faster ram, but is that gain worth +100 or +150 bucks. Hell no.