Sign in to follow this  
jlqrb

overclocking amd x2 4800

just got an x2 4800 ccbwe 0604 vpmw to replace an fx-53 thats in our work computer.

anyone have any info on this stepping?

I never did write down the stepping on the fx-53..bought it about the 3rd day it was out in june 04...its been a solid cpu...it been folding almost 24/7 for all this time, and its never been overclocked.

i think we paid 850.00 back then...now they sell used for about 150.00 or so...guess i will have to see what the fx-53 will do on my eXpert.

Hello Icon,

You can expect between 2.7 and 2.8 on the majority of the X2 4800 cpu's. Mine is a 0602 BPMW stepping and it will run 2.8 stable if I want to run a 166 divider on my memory. To get stable at 2.75 i've had to run my memory at exactly 250mhz using a 9/10 divider. I haven't found the memory controllers on the X2's to be especially strong, but it is really nice to multi-task the way I do now. I never knew what I was missing. I'm a happy camper, but often wished I'd spent the extra money on an Opty.

hey Wevsspot,,,,in my home rig i am running an opty 175, which is what i wanted to put into the rig at work, but the dif in price atm is 200.00, so all things considered the x2 4800 are pretty good deals. I am currently running my 175 at 2.8 24/7.

this x2 4800 is going on an msi neo2....which has lousy overclocking features, starting with the fact you dont have option in the bios to drop the multi...so i doubt i will get much on it at all. however, i was wondering about this stepping, cause if it was a "known" mad overclocker, i would use it in my home rig, and give them my opty ;)

Looking over at the 3.0 club, it's full of Optys. If I were you I'd stick with the Opty for my personal rig and use the X2 in the work rig. I think you're getting the best of both worlds then.

I haven't seen what I'd call any "mad" clockings on the 4800's, but lots of 2.7 to 2.8ghz and I've seen a few at 2.9ghz, but that's only a pipe dream with my particular stepping at any amount of voltage that I'm comfortable with. I think the cores would do it, maybe water would help. But I'm still convinced that the memory controllers on the X2 4800 isn't as good as those on the Optys.

Luck with whatever you decide to do.

Cheers.

Hi ya'll,

I got my new OCZ powersupply and I am going to have access to the following memory this weekend:

Corsair TWINX Dual Channel 1024MB PC4400 DDR 550MHz Memory (2x512MB)

(I was the kid who couldn't get a good OC a few pages earlier...)

That being said, after reading the OC guide (11th billion times) I have a question on your memory settings. More of method really. Do you start with the suggested timings that CPU-z tells you (or on the package I suppose too) or do you just start with what feels right? Or can you leave the memory settings to auto and just change the divider?

One more question, I have two sets available of Corsair TWINX Dual Channel 1024MB PC4400 DDR 550MHz Memory (2x512MB), anyone have issues with trying to OC with all four slots used?

My goal is to get to 2.7 :D

Thanks in advance!

- Christian

If you're into overclocking the best place to start is the Socket 939 Overclocking Database. Find a forum member with similar cpu/memory/motherboard and borrow his/hers bios, voltage and timings as a starting point. All of the post there are confirmed bootable and stable. Remember to test each change via Memtest and Prime95. Baby steps are the best method for achieving the best o/c.

Also have a read of the Definitive DFI A64 overclocking guide as it contains valuable information whether you plan to o/c or not.

On a side note you've picked the best psu you could possibly buy IMHO.

On another side note YOU WILL have problems getting four DIMMS populated and getting any kind of meaningful o/c. Your best bet is to snag a 2X1gb kit of OCZ or G.Skill memory rated for PC4000 or higher.

Luck.

I am sad to say that I gave up on the 4800X2 for the time being. I have an Ultra-D coming in the mail that I am going to try with it.

That being said, I picked up an Opteron 170 for $100 and seem to be having excellent OC results.

Going to try for 2.75 on the Opteron when the Big Typhoon finds itself installed.

-Gazukull

VERY NICE!! Got some left? ;)

It was right here on DFI streets equipment exchange from a member. I am kinda addicted to watching that part of the forum, trolling for good deals.

-G