overclocking amd x2 4800

jlqrb

mmm, there's two sides of the coin about this:

1- I can understand why people do use prime/benchmarking to test the perfromance of their own rig, especially if your overclocking, to find out what limit can your rig take.

2- The other side of the coin is basically "what the hell do i need prime or any other benchmarking software for when my machine can run 24hrs solid, play games to max res & graphics, rip mp3's, surf the net and do encoding".

DFI boards have been specifically been made to overclock, I would agree 50/50 either way that if you want a rig working like a War Machine - JOHN RAMBO then fine run Prime95, if not then i would'nt bother with benchmarking, saying that for pure stability and no serious overclocking I have used Asus boards and for that they are fantastic.

It's all about how you the user would be content in.:rolleyes:

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm mindful and respectful of everyone's opinion. With that being said remember that if you plan on posting any of your overclocking granduer in the Socket939 OCDB that Prime95 for eight hours minimum is a requirement. Um, mods and admins insisting that passing of Prime is necessary to PROVE system stability at any clocks. Thats an interesting thought.

PRIME 95 sucks. I use my CPU to the max regularly (mostly gaming and encoding DVD's) and not ONCE have I crashed or gotten BSOD. OCCT runs just fine, but PRIME will error out within 30 minutes. I'm sure there is one small useless setting that I don't have right, but running my CPU at 100 percent for over 8 hours a day for 6 months now without a single problem is proof enough that PRIME 95 will never be installed on my computer again. OCCT and actually useage is all I will ever need.

I'll eat my own words if I ever see BSOD.

It will happen. Sooner or later. It's odd that the only people that don't like Prime95 are the ones that can't pass it.

yeah, you may won't to check your heatsink. Still working on my 4800 overclock too.

Rideau,

I've got workable settings for you running the same memory and processor. If you can stand the heat that is. If you want to try them PM me and I'll be happy to send them over to you. I Memtested and Prime95 these settings for over eight hours on each utility and got mine to pass. But PWMIC was running at 69C at the end of the dual prime run.

Wevsspot, I would give it a try send the settings to me. Thanks

PM sent. I ended swapping my sticks into the yellow slots to get those to work. You might try the same if orange slots won't work.

Cheers.

PRIME 95 sucks. I use my CPU to the max regularly (mostly gaming and encoding DVD's) and not ONCE have I crashed or gotten BSOD. OCCT runs just fine, but PRIME will error out within 30 minutes. I'm sure there is one small useless setting that I don't have right, but running my CPU at 100 percent for over 8 hours a day for 6 months now without a single problem is proof enough that PRIME 95 will never be installed on my computer again. OCCT and actually useage is all I will ever need.

FWIW, when you run prime95 you might want to check the torture test custom settings. By default it will try to eat most of your memory and in your case you have a single GB, which could be related to the issue.

I recognize that you're not suggesting no or minimal stability. I personally applaud the OCDB requirements, because the scores are meaningful and therefore the settings of interest, have value and potentially repeatable. Having an OC score based on a system that can run a single test before it crashes is meaningless.

Lastly, if OCCT and usuage is all that you need then great...this is suppose to be fun, I just personally like the rigor that the mods and admins have brought to the process.

I just don't like to risk losing my data or corrupting my registry by having an unstable system. Like others have said, it happens in the background, over time. Maybe you will get lucky and it won't happen to you. I'm just a little less lucky in that arena, so I make sure my system can pass Prime95 for a day, while running RTHDRBL in a small square on my screen, while running streaming music, and coming to my computer to check stuff online now and then. Then, if it can play a game for 3-4 hours solid, and I plop in a DVD and its playing alright too, i call it stable. That system hasn't failed me yet.

I've overclocked my 4800+ to 12x217 = 2.6 Ghz pretty easily. At 1.35V, the system was booting to windows but not stable via Prime95. I slowly increased until it reached 1.40V. Then, the system passed 2 instances of Prime95 for 10 hours, zero errors. Oh and temps are in the low 30s on idle and high of 43 after an hour of prime running.

Whats the difference between 12x217Mhz and 10x260Mhz? I've never reduced the multiplier for clocking and am not sure the difference.

I've overclocked my 4800+ to 12x217 = 2.6 Ghe pretty easily. At 1.35V, the system was booting to windows but not stable via Prime95. I slowly increased until it reached 1.40V. Then, the system passed 2 instances of Prime95 for 10 hours, zero errors. Oh and temps are in the low 30s on idle and high of 43 after an hour of prime running.

Whats the difference between 12x217Mhz and 10x260Mhz? I've never reduced the multiplier for clocking and am not sure the difference.

12*217 = 2604Mhz + 217 FSB (~ PC3500) memory

10*260 = 2600Mhz + 260 FSB (~ PC4200) memory

CPU speed is nearly the same but the interface to the memory is SO MUCH faster... :eek:

I can't POST past 225*12, so I'm at 265*10 ATM, not stable yet... Getting my SI-128 in tomorrow... :D

Greetz!