PWMIC cooling

Devon

hi to you all.

ive wondered myself and seen quite a few people asking about the pwmic temps if they alright or high or wat not. so i thought ild do a simple cooling mod for it and have done the simplist but so effective cooling mod to it. unfortunitely my webspace isnt up just yet but will b in the next day or 2 and then i will put up all the info and pics so this is just really to advertise for it. so if u really hate the pwmic getting so hot then in the next 2 days u will get the perfect answer.

just to give u a rough idea my system has an overclock of 2700mhz that is 700mhz over wat it should b and my idle temp is around 30'C and full load 42'C.

it sure beats the 50'C idle and 63'C full load...

I have 2 x 50mm fan out of a hard drive cooler securely blu-tacced to the top of the heatsinks over the MOSFETs. No canmera though lol.

It looks sweet though and stops temps raising as much with the CPU when its under load.

PWMIC.JPG

The first temp spike on the graph is a few runs of 3dmark03 with no active cooling on PWMIC . The second spike is with active cooling. Nice results I'm sure you'll agree, one less thing to worry about.

The PCB beneath the PWMIC and MOSFETs gets a good deal of heat-soak.

You can get excellent results if you apply airflow to the back side of the motherboard.

Normally this will require modifying the case and the motherboard mount. It's much easier if the board mounts to a tray so you can do the mod outside of the case.

I took an old 80mm CPU fan and used 2 sided tape to secure it over the PWMIC area. Plugged the fan into the "Fan 2" header which is for the PWMIC according to the BIOS and Smartgaurdian. Then adjusted the settings in SG for the fan to come on full at 40C. Works perfect! I was getting up to 60C even with 4 120mm case fans moving air. But with a little direct airflow it stays at 40C or lower.

:drool: LiSTEN to a fool.

Chip Specs are written in gold.

I do not have the time or passions to look it up but I believe the PWMIC is rated for 70 celius or abve.

No magic, no mirrors, below 70 is just fine.

DO NOT forget when some one builds some thing they quote the worst case specs to gain favor :drool:

Think about it ;)