ITEGuardian temps wrong?

hi, iv been having this problem for a while. my 3800 x2 idles at about 26C on stock HSF with AS5 @ around 1000 RPM @ 75F room temp and at load it goes to 38C @ about 3400 RPM.

my only problem is, when i view the idle temps in the BIOS, it shows near 34 but in ITEGuardian in windows it shows around 26.

Also, no matter what i do my load temperature never goes above 38C. i have OCed to 2.2 and 2.5GHz (with dividers because my RAM wont OC) but the temps would still stay at 38C after 2 prime95 large FFT torture tests running for an hour.

i have disabled cool n quiet and CPU thermal throttling cuz i thought those might be slowing down my CPU or something and my load temp still doesn't go past 38C.

anyone else having a problem with this and is there a fix for it? thanks :)

Guest GripS

Idle temps reported in the BIOS are approx 10C higher then whats reported in windows. I find this to be true on both of my AMD64 systems, the other being a socket 754.

As far as load temps never exceeding 38C even when overclocking, if your not increasing the core voltage then it's no suprise. Also the Stock HSF that comes with X2's and Opterons(the heatpipe version) works very well so i wouldn't be suprised if the actual temp isn't too far off.

YOU can check if it reaches more than 38C by changing the fan start temperature.

You can change the temp at which the cpu fan will start to fully operate. make it a bit higher and see if your temps will rise then you can see if your SG is working or not..

YOU can check if it reaches more than 38C by changing the fan start temperature.

You can change the temp at which the cpu fan will start to fully operate. make it a bit higher and see if your temps will rise then you can see if your SG is working or not..

oh yeah, good idea, thx man

and btw grips, the stock HSF that come with the x2s dont have the heatpipes, thats only for the optys and fx series. anyways, im thinking of geting an xp-90, xp-120 or the zalman9500cu. which do u guys recommend?

Guest GripS

I think the XP-90 is the HSF of choice here. Sounds like the stock one is doing just fine for ya though.

yeah it worked, i changed from 40 full fan max to 60 full and the temp went up to 42.

but my question is, if the stock HSF can keep an x2 at 38C at load after its OCed to 2.5GHz then whats the point of W/C or phase or even a better air HSF?

Guest GripS
yeah it worked, i changed from 40 full fan max to 60 full and the temp went up to 42.

but my question is, if the stock HSF can keep an x2 at 38C at load after its OCed to 2.5GHz then whats the point of W/C or phase or even a better air HSF?

First time i've seen someone get excited about temps going up... :shake:

W/C and Phase are for people that 1. Like a silent PC and 2. Are extreme overclockers.

If your looking at a mild overclock and you don't mind the fan noise stick with air.