Mouse/KB hang up briefly in games, *BEEP* from comp speaker

So, recently I've been having this problem when playing games (War3, CS:Source), where the mouse and keyboard will just randomly hang up for a few seconds, and then resume functioning afterwards. It'll happen pretty regularly, which can be frustrating, obviously. For example: War3 - I'll be clicking or scrolling and then suddenly everything will lock up, and if I was already scrolling across the screen, it will continue scrolling all the way across the screen until everything unfreezes. So, basically the video feed doesn't stop, but I just completely lose control over the mouse and keyboard. I'm using a logitech elite kb and a mx518 mouse, with the latest drivers (tried it with older ones also).

Also, sometimes when this is going on, and I'm pressing keys on the keyboard, I'll get this beeping sound out of the case, sounding like those error beeps you get when you hold down a key for too long in POST or whatever. This made me believe (completely wild guess) that maybe my system is getting overloaded by input data from the keyboard and mouse, but I don't see how that would be possible. :confused:

My system is overclocked to 250 fsb, and the x1900xt is at stock. The temps are stable, so I'm running out of options to try. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance :cat:

You get that beep when you are pressing too many keys in the keyboard at the same time.

You can test your keyboard by doing the following.

Hold the S and D keys down, then hold the X key. If your computer beeps when you press X, you need to get a better keyboard with better switches.

If your keyboard is all good you will see ssssssssssssssssssssddddddddddddddddddddxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If it isnt you will see sssssssssssssssssddddddddddddddd and hear a beep.

You can try and reduce the speed at which the buffer is filled by reducing repeat rate and repeat delay in START>>Control Panel>>Keyboard

You get that beep when you are pressing too many keys in the keyboard at the same time.

You can test your keyboard by doing the following.

Hold the S and D keys down, then hold the X key. If your computer beeps when you press X, you need to get a better keyboard with better switches.

If your keyboard is all good you will see ssssssssssssssssssssddddddddddddddddddddxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If it isnt you will see sssssssssssssssssddddddddddddddd and hear a beep.

You can try and reduce the speed at which the buffer is filled by reducing repeat rate and repeat delay in START>>Control Panel>>Keyboard

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely try it.

But "getting a better keyboard" seems strange because it honestly was working perfectly until just a few days ago. This is the same keyboard from the system I was running previously, on which I played the same games, etc. Is there some reason it would suddenly degrade like this? I didn't modify any keyboard settings, drivers, etc.

Not that I can think of.

Have you added any new devices over the last week or so? lent a friends digital camera or ipod or something that plugs into your pc?

Perhaps an IRQ issue then - see http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50904

I had this problem years ago with Day Of Defeat, where even the slightest blip of the mouse would send me into a fury. I cant remember what I did to get it to go away to be honest, but I remember something about that keyboard test.

Not that I can think of.

Have you added any new devices over the last week or so? lent a friends digital camera or ipod or something that plugs into your pc?

Perhaps an IRQ issue then - see http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50904

I had this problem years ago with Day Of Defeat, where even the slightest blip of the mouse would send me into a fury. I cant remember what I did to get it to go away to be honest, but I remember something about that keyboard test.

Sorry to answer with all these hypotheticals but I'm at work right now so I can't actively test things on the fly. Just trying to get a decent working knowledge base for when I get home.

I have recently added an ipod, connected via usb to the sytem. I can't completely rule out that this might have occurred immediately before the problem started appearing, but I'm not exactly sure. So if it turns out that there is indeed some kind of IRQ conflict, is there a practical solution I can use? Uninstall the IPOD drivers? I skimmed the windows support doc from a link in the other thread, and it seems like xp doesn't make it particularly easy, if at all possible, to manually change/assign IRQs.

Thanks again.

It's all a bit complicated to me, I ended up just disabling a pile of unused devices in my bios (firewire/irda etc) then reformatting. Also started using a USB-PS2 adapter so that the mouse uses the pre defined PS2 irq, which doesnt get shared.

I wasnt having a mouse problem though, I had audio sharing an IRQ with my IDE interface which causes crackling in audio when the HDD was accesed.

sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd hmmm no x for me..but i love this keyboard..

none of the keyboards i've tried..can type X once S and D are still held down.

none beep also.