Sign in to follow this  
nate.the.great

Unstable build. PSU at fault?

I have built a rig that is stable during all games, but just won't run prime95 for more than two hours. So, I downloaded the version of prime that logs using MBM5. I noticed that the last log before each rounding error is...

+3.00v = 2.96

+5.00v = 4.96

Is that enough instability to give a rounding error? Does anyone have any experience?

+3.00v = 2.96

This is way under spec (if the sw readout is correct) and will cause your memory to drop voltage like a stone .

This as memory voltage is provided by regulators on mobo from the PSU 3.30v line .

The voltage is 3.30v and +/- 5% spec sets the lowest acceptable value to 3.13v .

Make sure you read the rules man...you need a signature so people know what you have and help you...

Sorry, I updated it. Also, I have passed memtest86 after running it for 8+ hours. I've also passed teh windows version of it. This is a picture taken from newegg of my power supply.

11-156-175-10.JPG

+3.00v = 2.96

This is way under spec (if the sw readout is correct) and will cause your memory to drop voltage like a stone .

This as memory voltage is provided by regulators on mobo from the PSU 3.30v line .

The voltage is 3.30v and +/- 5% spec sets the lowest acceptable value to 3.13v .

hmmm, i just remember it as 0.04 too low. i'll have to check again when i get home. it might be 3.26. thanks for the reply.

Since you ask about your PSU I have some not so good news for you: davidhammock200 has included Raidmax in the thread "PSU Brands to Avoid!" . If a power drop would be "stable" and within spec +/-5 % you could be alright, but poor performing PSU:s have a tendency to fluctuate a lot, which causes instability and might be even harmful to other hardware in your system.

Since you ask about your PSU I have some not so good news for you: davidhammock200 has included Raidmax in the thread "PSU Brands to Avoid!" . If a power drop would be "stable" and within spec +/-5 % you could be alright, but poor performing PSU:s have a tendency to fluctuate a lot, which causes instability and might be even harmful to other hardware in your system.

that's great info. thanks!

Always be sceptical to PSU's that comes with cases .

It's usually low cost units . (expect for Antec cases perhaps as they make their own PSUs) .

Lookin' at the picture +12v spec of 14A is not enough . In addition you would want to keep your PSU under 80% of it's capacity of what it delivers on each rail .

You probably draw so much off the +12v rail right now that the combined +3.3v&+5.0v is affected and gets unstable .

60-70% of the effect in modern systems is drawn from +12v ,so 450w with

low max.amperage like 14A on +12v line is worthless .

As a comparsion ,take e.g a Tagan 430w , it can deliver a continious 28A load on +12 if the load on +3.3v&+5.0v is held below 80w.

Go for the OCZ.. tagan is good but from what people are saying the OCZs are better (adjustable rails for a start)