Sign in to follow this  
Kandoo

New Red Orchestra

Red Orchestra:Ostfront 41-45. Is anyone playing this and if so, can you give me some reviews on it. Is it worth buying?

Guest SuppA-SnipA

ya i want to know to, but i only play cs source online and once a while old school r6 raven shield

Well I installed it, steep learning curve at least for me. the ingame sounds are great. but its realistic game play, no cross hair on the screen, can't run full time, vehicles have limited visabilty. A few bugs but those can be patched.

Sigh...another non inovative FPS. seriously dev's gimme something new. The industry is really getting stale.

Lol, what else are they gonna do for a shooter game? Guess what - you still shoot people no matter what the setting is. And war games are by far the easiest to make because they don't have to think about what it looks like, there's pictures to copy and turn into sweet graphics.

i dunno mabee non linear game play. or pehaps something where the success/failure of a previos mission affects the resulting levels. soldiers that gain experiance, cand can be customized(IE health/speed/stability/stealth ect)or how bout an AI that adapts to overcome you...far cry kinda had the right idea, i wanna play something ruthless that accually truies to corner you while its buddies are maneuvering to out flank and trap you. I want to see a game that has an AI that will do things real soldiers would do like dive behind a vechicle for cover, or kick over a table and whatnot for the same affect(granted most tables wont stop a bullet....only in holly wood, but you get the idea) games with an AI that blindly shoots you on site is kinda lam. and the higher he difficulty the more accuarate/powerfull the AI's shot how bout some realistic flexibility iby adding things like your movements effecting the ability of the oponent to draw a bead, or weather/light conditions. these all affect combat. how bout an AI that will accualy use reallife tactics like stacking and sweeping to clear a room. rather than just rush in one at a time to get mowed down by a player. I guess as an Ex Grunt im just too picky about games and thier lack of real life likeness. dont get me wrong....I love halo, and COD. but in the end its just not the same.

I guess I'm just saying that FPS's seem to have a cookie cutter template that hasnt really evolved in the last 3-4 years.

Guest oRiOn

I realllllly like this game, play it all the time. It use to be a Unreal mod and I am glad they took the Unreal engine and made their own game.

-Will

I played RO in the past when it was for UT2003 and UT2004. I wasn't really impressed with it at that time, since the AI did not have any form of thinking, which is more of the games fault not the mod.

I am on the same lines as Grunt_Style. The AI in FPS games are primarily what will draw the player in; that and the graphics of course. I think we will see the AI carry on more levels of awareness to the situation such as pursuing a player and not stopping after a few mins. Heck if I am getting shot I wouldn't brush it off as if a bee stung me. I would either run like a coward pleeing for help or find some cover and handle the situation.

One problem that I see with a lot of games today, not just FPS but a lot of other genres is that the AI don't have a lot of choices in where they go. Even in FarCry, which is arguably one of the most intelligent AI systems out to date, the AI are either patrolling a zone or camping out. I would like to see some AI taking on tasks that go a little furthur than that, almost to the same level as what the game Oblivion did. In this game the AI all have goals in life and carry on tasks and goals that they try to accomplish regardless if you are in sight or not. This could be brought into an FPS point of view but since the time period is generally short term it would be small tasks such a taking a cargo truck from point A to B to even out troop placement or strengthen a hot spot; or have troops take night shifts and such. I know that these games fullfill this to an extent by making trigger spots or events; but it just isnt the same to me, esspecially when playing it through for the second or more times. The game I am excited about (as I am sure the rest of you are) is Crysis.

Sigh...another non inovative FPS. seriously dev's gimme something new. The industry is really getting stale.

actually Red Orchestra is quite innovative in the sense that it is not dumbed-down for monkies to play, and because of it's steep learning curve and difficutly, it FORCES one to use teamwork

this has a secondary positive effect in that it makes all the losers and spammers and little kids give up quite quickly, which then leaves you with mostly mature gamers who are there to be part of a team and play the game like it was intended to be played

lone wolves = die quickly ;)

The game does have a trainer and the bots AI is really bad, but it does what it says, train you how to play the game. The meat of the game is online. Tank gunner and driver must be in sync with each other, otherwise it is impossable to aim and shoot for effect if the driver is bouncing the rig all over the place! No crosshair (except iron sights) is the hardest thing to get use to. That and not running out in the open(dead meat). patience is required.

lol

why is iron sights so hard for people to grasp???

that is the only type of games i like is where there is no screen crosshair...and you can only use iron sights!

I guess for me playing all those games with crosshairs and then switching over for the first time with iron sights takes a little time to get use too. It's just a more realistic game play.