Sign in to follow this  
pepinokid01

Crucal Ballistix

20A is probably a bit too low for that setup and the overclock that you presumably wish to acheive.

Im having a bit of a problem finding DFI and OCZ here in South Africa! Any advice?

Make friends with somebody from the West.

Yes your PSU is too weak.

You need one that is at least 480W with Dual +12v rails.

While you decide what to do, if possible test the memory in another PC (also use 2.8v).

Less likely, although you will never know until you try it. Unless of course you stop getting memory errors without changing the PSU.

I would expect to see these errors if

a) Memory frequency too high

B) Memory timings wrong (too tight?)

c) Not enough voltage going to the Memory OR

d) Power supply below standard.

As someone said, if you don't wanna be so quick to spend your money, check the stock speed database for your stable settings, then try again. If it still fails try it in another computer, if it still fails then the sticks are probably damaged.

So Centy is there anything else you would suggest I try before I go out and get a new psu??

Check that your memory is at 200Mhz

Check your timings.

Try increasing memory voltage.

No joy?

Lend a good PSU off a friend

Same Problem?

read http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6719

RMA Ballistix for a working set.

okay when raising the voltage....what is the max I should go??...will I fry the stix if I go too high??....also...sorry about being a noob...but what exactly are my memory timings?? and how do I know if they are too tight?? do I check BIOS to see my timings??

3.0 - 3.2v is the highest I would go. Use a fan to cool the memory sticks if going over 2.9v because stix can fry, yes.

If you go into your BIOS>>Genie Bios Settings>> DRAM configuration you will see your timings. The most important are the first four settings.

You'll want to double check that these are the timings you should be using but I think it is

CAS latency =2.0

Act to precharge delay=6

RAS to CAS delay=2

RAS precharge=2

You will know if they are too tight if you see a whole bunch of errors in memtest which is remedied by loosening the timings.

An example of loosening would be to change them to

CAS latency =2.5

Act to precharge delay=7

RAS to CAS delay=3

RAS precharge=3

Although some memory reacts better to loosening timgs than others, so milage may vary. Also you have paid for low latency ram modules, so you should try and keep the timings as tight/low as possible.

For more information on timings please read this thread http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40178

I wouldn't worry about your Ballistix dying over time; AFAIK, the failures occured only with the 2GB kit, which used Micron 5B-D chips. Your 1GB kit uses 5B-Gs and so it should be fine :)

Do a forum search for Crucial Ballistix stable settings and you should be able to get it up and running.

well I am happy to say that I have gone through 1 pass without any errors =) but it is recommended I go through at least 20 passes right??...also I was wondering if there were any drawbacks to loosening my memory???