Sign in to follow this  
TWEEKEE

7900 Gt Co Problems

This my first post and first power pc build, If this is in the wrong area pls let me know. I have a dfi nf4 sli dr with 2 7900 gt's and it locks up running 3dmark2001 on the last test. The point Sprites, aslo has problems with Quake 4.

I have not tried to overclock anything yet. just trying to get the stock stuff stable.

Any advice would be helpfull. Thanks

This my first post and first power pc build, If this is in the wrong area pls let me know. I have a dfi nf4 sli dr with 2 7900 gt's and it locks up running 3dmark2001 on the last test. The point Sprites, aslo has problems with Quake 4.

I have not tried to overclock anything yet. just trying to get the stock stuff stable.

Any advice would be helpfull. Thanks

You may want to have a look at the evga forums. (http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard...asp?FORUM_ID=32, reg required to view, I believe). There's talk of early 9700s being an bit wonky - more than a few people have recieved cards that don't seem to actually work at their factory clock rates. Freezing and bad artifacting have been reported, and for some, only drastic underclocking made things stable. It doesn't appear to be a heat-related issue. Many folk, on the other hand, have had no issues, even with early boards.

I'm on a slow, tightly budgeted process for building my new rig (in sig). Im an evga fan, and I want a 7900gt, but I'm going to wait a few more weeks on it. Hopefully the failure rate will fall with newer batches.

Good luck. :)

Yeah, I guess that would be the best way to figure out the problem.. I will give that a try tonight, will just removing the sli bridge be enough or do I need to remove the cards and reset the jumpers on the mobo for single card use and just install a single card ? The EVGA forum did have some great info Thanks..

Well I ran test on each card by itself, one of the cards had a hard time all the way throught, seem to have trouble at the end of each test. the other card did great untill the last test again. Point Sprits.. locked up had to reboot lol. Do you thing that they are both bad??

try them on different mobo if you can , if its a sli system try them with sli jumpers set to single cards not sli. just turning sli off in nv settings isnt enough as it could be mobo and you need to isolate that possibillity

Mine has had no problems but the OC on the memory could be a bit better. 500/1500 stock and 560/1710 max OC no volt mod.

I say to check your drivers while you're at it.

Guest YuKoN

just got mine today- used driver cleaner pro and installed 84.43 forceware drivers.

stock clocks(550/1580). ran '03 no problems. 18,962. '05 np 8285. 06 np 4332. these are with my machine at 4.1, pcie freq at 115, and the stock clocks. highest temp was on '06 at 57C.

dunno if any of this helps you- hope so.

Yeah I put the jumpers back to single mode and just used a single card. still had the same problem, I did install beta drivers last night and they seem to be a little better but still locks up on th point sprites test in 3dmark01, I have seen where tons of these cards are having problems, Im not sure if I should RMA now or wait till there is a real fix.