SPDIF problem!

Hi my first post here folks so be patient!

Anyway see my sign for my soundsystem i have connected it to the onboard soundcard through optical.. But i only get 2.1 sound out! And to get any sound out i had to change jumper to 2-3 on MB and change to NVIDIA DRIVERS.. Though the realtek drivers dident work on any of the jumper settings ! Please help me!

Btw using a coaxiel -> optical converter

The onboard sound has no hardware ability to digitally decode other than stereo. So there can only be stereo out over SPDIF which is a digital file transfer format. Digitally the SPDIF only has stereo to transfer since there is no hardware digital decoding above the stereo level. That is what I see when I tear into the whole of digital out.

RGone...

Hi my first post here folks so be patient!

Anyway see my sign for my soundsystem i have connected it to the onboard soundcard through optical.. But i only get 2.1 sound out! And to get any sound out i had to change jumper to 2-3 on MB and change to NVIDIA DRIVERS.. Though the realtek drivers dident work on any of the jumper settings ! Please help me!

Btw using a coaxiel -> optical converter

Guest n19htmare

That spdif has to go some where right? Spdif sends a digital signal that needs to be decoded just like Fiber optic. The onboard processor doesnt decode and then send the signal via spdif (if that happened, then it wouldnt be digital out anymore, it would just be analog).

So to the point, you would need an external decoder such as a Reciever or speaker system that can take SPdif in and decode it.

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Aiwa_HT_DV90/...47.html?tag=sub

There are the specs...I can see that it has the following decoding capabilities. # Built-in decoders

# DTS decoder, Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic

I have my Spdif coax from my Mobo to my Onkyo receiver. My receiever is capable of most decoders and it decodes 5.1 just fine. But I have to select the Listening mode on the stereo.

Read your guide for the Aiwa and select the correct listening mode, you may have to select the decoder in the options of Aiwa.