Sign in to follow this  
oandrew

RAID 0 in Ubuntu

Hi,

I am new in using Ubuntu. I currently using a RAID 0 setup on a SLI-DR with windows XP and BootMagic setup. When I install the Ubuntu, it did not detect my RAID and the partitions in Windows. I wonder where I can load my RAID driver disk during setup? Any other thoughts? Where can I download the RAID driver for Linux? I can't find it on the offical NV site.

raid arrays tend to be very problematic in many linux distros. As I am not familiar with running raid in any linux distro, I would suggest checking out www.linuxquestions.org there are a lot of linux gurus there that have answered any and all question/problems I have had in the past.

Yup I gave up went to the old hated ATA. At least it is enough more effecent that yuou dont notice the lack of raid.

There is a very good Ubintu forum you can ask there.

I asked on the Ubuntu forum. People said that if the harddrives are detected but they are not in raid the RAID is consider a software raid (aka fakeraid). Isn't the NV raid a hardware raid?

It should be hardware raid, but maybe the driver is missing, as in windows you add the driver with the F6 during install.

on ubuntu's wiki there is a guide on fakeraid.

for more info on ubuntu, check the wiki at:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/

Guest Lord Sauron

No NVRAID is a software RAID. You cant transfer the RAID array to a different controller for instance. Its software on a BIOS level. See here : http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html#nvidia

True hardware RAID controllers cost a lot of money ($120+ for a real basic one), and usually come with Cache memory on them to improve performance and a seperate CPU to hand the RAID.

You cannot get Ubunutu or any other Linux distro to work (boot from) a NVRAID array without a huge hassle. This usually entails getting Gentoo Live CD and making a bootblock and a whole load of crap. I looked how to do it and gave up. I got Ubunutu to work fine of a seperate Boot drive and then make it see the NVRAID array so you can read and write the files to the array. So if you have MP3's stored on the array on an NTFS partiton you can mount and use them in ubuntu.

Really my best advice is to forget getting Ubunutu or any Linux Distro running on the NVRAID. Either get a seperate drive to boot from or install Ubunutu on a Virtual PC within windows.. Otherwise you are heading for a whole world of pain and frustration.

If you really want to try then see here, but I honestly gave up (and if you searched on the Ubunutu forums you would have found this :-) )

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=86219

It is not clear to me whether you (oandrew) use that onboard SATA raid stuff or Linux software raid.

First rule of SATA onboard raid is - it's junk.

First rule of software raid: think about booting off a non-RAID boot/root partition and start up data partitions with raid manually. Booting from software raid means you rely on the kernel's autodetection which I think is usually a bad idea.

In any case, raid-0 on OS install disks done for the purpose of speeding up program start is useless anyway.