Sign in to follow this  
jpinard

Everything great except high-pitched hiss.

Hi everyone. First thanks to everyone for all the help. In 2 days I have this board outperforming my Asus A8R-MVP which I had for 3 horrible months. So everything is great except it I've got a high-pitched whine. It kind of sounds abit like capacitor hiss. Very, very high-pitched and kind of unnerving. So I guess my question is... on the NF4 Ultra-D is there a known area that's apt to create this kind of noise? I realy can't tell where it's coming from since it feels like it's from the whole mobo. I guess if I know where to look, and I can see about covering it with silicon to silence it. Thanks for the help! :)

I thought I'd mention I can't isolate it with the "ear against a paper towel tube", otherwise I'd know already ;)

no there arent known issues, now you prolly cant answer this quesion unles your an uber^10 geek, but can you determine what frequenct the whit noise is?

another rhing, this might be a precursor to some serious problems dow nthe road, if you start running into some instability or other problems id recomend you RMA it

could be your chipset fan. Here a way you can pin point the noise. get the inner carboard tube from a roll of paper towl, place it agenst your ear and scan sections of your computer. (yes I know, it looks stupid, but it will isolate noise)

could be your chipset fan. Here a way you can pin point the noise. get the inner carboard tube from a roll of paper towl, place it agenst your ear and scan sections of your computer. (yes I know, it looks stupid, but it will isolate noise)

hehehe, I did that alrwayd hence why I wrote

"I thought I'd mention I can't isolate it with the "ear against a paper towel tube", otherwise I'd know already "

About the pitch. Wow, I'd have to say it's almost the same pitch as a dog whistle. I know humans can't hear it "in volume", but you do still hear something especially if it's recorded on tv and played back (Brainiac had an episode where they blew real hard on a dog whistle to se if it bothered viewer's animals at home).

So it might be a precursor to something bad? I wonder if that's why I get a weird multicolored blocky screen for about 1.5 seconds when I boot into windows. I'd hate to RMA it though. What a pain it is to get in and out, mounting and all that. Will DFI cross-ship if it fails past my 20 day RMA period where I purchased it?

So it might be a precursor to something bad? I wonder if that's why I get a weird multicolored blocky screen for about 1.5 seconds when I boot into windows. I'd hate to RMA it though. What a pain it is to get in and out, mounting and all that. Will DFI cross-ship if it fails past my 20 day RMA period where I purchased it?

No cross-shipping, DFI has been screwed out of money in past years doing that so it isn't available any longer.

That really does sound like a problem though, if its definitely not the chipset fan I'd RMA it ASAP. Might want to double check that its not from your graphics card, psu, or something other first though. i'd hate for you to get one back and have the same issue crop up.

Yea you should really check if it ain't the PSU giving you headache, some of my old PSU's produced this sort of death cry when they were about to die.

To track down the source of the sound you may have to pull everything out of the case and lay it out.

This way you can isolate the components much easier.

My bet is on the PSU.

It's most probably coil noise

With a ground strap around your hand or with one hand hoding the properly grounded case start touching on the coils gently with your fingers, when the tone changes you have found the offending coil, it is caused by the ferrite core moving inside the coil by the ripple current in the circuit...

On my DFI Expert it was the coil that is right up close with the PS/2 ports that created the noise, some hot glue took care of it... I've also got a Epox 9NDA3+ that I have been unable to fix it on, even though I changed out the capacitors I thought where responsible for not filtering out enough of the ripple current...

DFICoil.jpg

But it could also be your powersupply, you can check it the same way as on the mobo and have a high risk of death, or use some rubber thing to poke at the coils with... But generally PSU manufacturers do glue their coils down to prevent this issue to begin with but not all do... (or someone had a bad Monday morning) :D