Delayed Write Failure

Darkshine

Howdy :)

I seem to be gettin plagued with this error all the sudden. I was getting it, compacted on top of other unrelated windows errors too, so i decided to reformat. Well all my other errors are gone now but this one stayed with me. Ive seen a few sites with causes, most of them seem to point to the 'Policy' tab of the hardware properties for write caching... well of course, i cant get an error like everyone else so i can use the same fix that everyone else uses, so thats no help, i have tried it both on and off... oh yea, if it makes any difference, here is what im doing when i get the error..

I have an ' external' drive.. is actually a IDE drive hooked up to USB by way of the nifty IDE-USB cable (i know, i know, the reliability of this could be questionable by some..). Ive wrote to and from this drive countless times in the past few months with no trouble... And the error will come up sending to or from the drive. (my internal drive is in my sig)..

So can those familiar point me toward a magic solution please? Thanks! :)

Typically delayed write errors are a sign that the drive is going bad. Check your event viewer and look in the systems log. If you are getting man disk errors, I would run that company's diagnostic utilty and check the drive.

cjoe

joe7- thats kinda what i was thinking, and what i was afraid of. But which drive? My internal or the other one?

I got this other drive as a hand me down.. it was checked and determined that it was not only ate slam up with viruses but was also goin bad. But since i had it i hadnt had any trouble so i assumed they were wrong about it. I guess i should have formatted it nstuff when i got it and checked it myself :( Just wish i could keep it stable long enuff one last time to get backed up stuff off of it :(

The only way to truly evaluate a drive is with Spinrite from Gibson Research.

I've been using this tool since the mid 80's and I swear by it.

Every drive gets the Spinrite treatment right out of the antistatic bag. I run it on my drives every six months and have detected pending drive failure well before SMART would have.