Sign in to follow this  
nierdal

PCI Express slot not working with SLI

The only thing the bridge does is help distribute the bandwidth between the cards, it doesn't enable anything in the BIOS.....I have my 7800gt at the bottom slot working at 8x and it works fine....

Rgone mentioned something about if the card not working the chipset doesn't assign the lanes....so I gotta ask

1st- did you try the new flashed card in the upper PCI slot? does it work?

2nd-does the old card work at the bottom slot?

try plugging the old card(the one that wasn't flashed) ALONE at the bottom PCIex slot and see what happens...hell if you're gonna have to RMA the board you might as well try it....

1st- did you try the new flashed card in the upper PCI slot? does it work?

2nd-does the old card work at the bottom slot?

1- Yes, and it works

2- Yes if I put just one card in the bottom slot it works (the OC one or the normal one) but again I get NC NC 8X 1X in the bios.

Then there's something fishy right there...if your bottom PCIex Slot wouldn't have ANY lanes assigned to it, it wouldn't show you any images at all....

Do me a favor..with ANY of the cards in the bottom slot, boot into windows and open the Nvidia control panel....right click on the desktop, choose settings , then advanced

then select the tab that says Geforce XXXX

Then a window will appear displaying the Gfx card info...

one of them says BUS

Tell me what appears next to it....

That's what I tought....

then chief...it seems your BIOS wants to drive you mad...lol

on another matter...the cards are supposed to be detected as SLI as soon as you add the second one...

I had once two geforces 6600GTs and with the drivers that allowed you to mix and match manufacturers but SLI didn't enable...with or without the bridge...

tell me one thing....when you put only one card to tell me if it was running at 8x.....on the same panel on the left there are several options...one of them should say "SLI multi GPU" .....when I had the 6600GTs that option didn't show up at all....now with my 7800GT it shows....which means the drivers are ready for the moment I stick another card on the other slot....

Try putting one card at a time on either slot (since we eliminated the problem of PCIex lanes) and then check of the option "SLI multi GPU" will appear on the Nvidia control Panel....if it does then the second card should work fine....if it doesn't, it seems the cards are not identical....or are not compatible....

No when I only put one card, there is no "SLI multi GPU" panel. Whatever which card I put.

When I put two card : no "SLI multi GPU" also, and only the first slot card show up in Windows with a BUS at 8x.

One thing : When I add the second card : then I get no boot screen the first time, until I reset the bios (unplug and clear cmos), and then the bios boot.

But concerning the cards, I've reflashed both with the same bios version, and tested both with 3D Mark 2005 with no problem.

And they are physically the same, absolutely no difference.

But the big difference with a lot of people here : I don't have any SLI Bridge, and I don't know which problem this could cause...

But the big difference with a lot of people here : I don't have any SLI Bridge, and I don't know which problem this could cause...

Performance decrease is the drawback of not having the bridge as the lanes split in 8x 8x setup, high end cards need a lot of bandwidth so the bridge serves as an alternate path instead of using the Pci express bus for "talking" to each other that would otherwise decrease performance....

But like I said if the "Sli Multi GPU" panel is not showing up with either card, you may have a driver problem but is NOT because you don't have a bridge....

Crap...

Think I will bought another mobo at a local shop and test if it works since the RMA process will surely take more than 1 month... (I'm in Canada).

My heart is broken (j/k) , I appreciated this mobo. :(

I'd hold out before sending the mobo...

why don't you get the two cards and test in a friend's machine that has SLI chipset?

where in Canada are you at?

Quebec City (in the french province of Quebec, and this explain my not so great english...)

But in my university faculty there's not a lot of gamers/modders. (Ok there's surely one gamer since we are 40 000 students...). The easiest way would be to buy a mobo, test if it woks, if not, return the mobo, if yes keep the new mobo.

Have you tried a different BIOS for your motherboard? It should definitely work as I have run two bridgeless GTX's on a modded Ultra and it worked fine.